What's new

Razorock Jaws.a bad idea

I wanted to try an open comb DE that was a little more aggressive than my EJ 89. I checked out the table in Shavewiki listing razors by aggression, and the Jaws looked like a good idea especially for $14.99! I ordered it from the Italian Barber and it arrived Saturday. I let a good two day growth build up and decided to give it a try. Loaded it up with a blade and the alignment was way off:bored:. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get the bladed to align, but every time it wound up too far one way, or skewed. I noticed when I purchased it the it said "no warranty", and now I see why. Sent a couple emails to them about it, but no response. Wonder what it's worth in scrap metal?

hmmmm. that's strange. although I haven't been here more than around 8 months, I haven't heard much, if anything bad about the jaws. I'm sure someone who owns it will come along and chime in.

Should be able to line up a blade in about a minute or so, even if there's a lot of play on the pins.
Practice makes perfect

Should be able to line up a blade in about a minute or so, even if there's a lot of play on the pins.
Practice makes perfect
I can get it to align, until I try to tighten it down. That's when it either pulls back to one side, or skews. Guess I could just leave it skewed and use it like a slant!

This! ^^
Even with a lot of play you shouldn't take 20 minutes to get it to align.
How do you load the blade in the razor?
I hold the cap upside down in the palm of my hand, put the blade over the posts, put the base plate on and then get the handle started. Then I hold the sides of the head and base plate to tighten the handle down. That's also when I'm trying to get the blade aligned, by holding the sides in the correct spot while I'm tightening the handle.

Last edited:
I have a jaws and for 15 bucks I am very pleased with it. IB is a top shelf vendor- you may just need to give him some time to respond. Often times when moving to a more aggressive razor, it pays to put it down for a while and retry it when you have more time and patience and you get a better result. Worst case scenario $15 bucks ain't bad for an extra handle. Good luck

I hold the cap upside down in the palm of my hand, put the blade over the posts, put the base plate on and then get the handle started. Then I hold the sides of the head and base plate to tighten the handle down. That's also when I'm trying to get the blade aligned, by holding the sides in the correct spot while I'm tightening the handle.

Sounds good to me ...

Well, pictures will help I guess. In any case, hope you manage to get this issue fixed.

Search for threads on the Jaws. The blade alignment issue is common, as confirmed by Joe @ Italian Barber. I've mentioned it in several threads. On mine, the pins are clearly to one side of the top plate, and there's not enough play to compensate. So, one side has more exposure than the other. Joe offered me a refund, but given how cheap it is, it didn't seem worth shipping it back. I'll probably PIF mine. It's the only OC razor that I've tried that I didn't like. Then again, I probably only used it five times, so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.

Search for threads on the Jaws. The blade alignment issue is common, as confirmed by Joe @ Italian Barber. I've mentioned it in several threads. On mine, the pins are clearly to one side of the top plate, and there's not enough play to compensate. So, one side has more exposure than the other. Joe offered me a refund, but given how cheap it is, it didn't seem worth shipping it back. I'll probably PIF mine. It's the only OC razor that I've tried that I didn't like. Then again, I probably only used it five times, so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.
That sounds exactly like the problem that I am having. There is more exposure on one side than the other, and when I try to correct it, the blade just skews. I may just try it with the blade showing more on one side and see which side works better. I really like the weight and feel of it, so I guess I have nothing to lose, except of course a little blood :lol:

are the jaws heads ZAMAK? I only ask because if not, then maybe you could shave down one side of the posts to make up the difference in the blade exposure. then it wouldn't pull over so hard and you can just align it by hand. if it IS ZAMAK, then nevermind.

I have the RR Jaws and really like it. I use it when I have to be up really early for work. Otherwise, I generally use a straight razor. I've had no issues with blade alignment and I get close, comfortable and smooth shaves with the Jaws.

IMO, the price is worth it even if you toss the head. I had an extra Gillette New OC head laying around and attached it to the Jaws handle. It was an excellent shave. It's a nice handle. I wouldn't bin it. Good luck.

are the jaws heads ZAMAK? I only ask because if not, then maybe you could shave down one side of the posts to make up the difference in the blade exposure. then it wouldn't pull over so hard and you can just align it by hand. if it IS ZAMAK, then nevermind.
Someone with more knowledge than me would have to answer that. I have no idea who actually manufactures them. I could try that to see if it would work. Thanks for the idea!

I have the RR Jaws and really like it. I use it when I have to be up really early for work. Otherwise, I generally use a straight razor. I've had no issues with blade alignment and I get close, comfortable and smooth shaves with the Jaws.

IMO, the price is worth it even if you toss the head. I had an extra Gillette New OC head laying around and attached it to the Jaws handle. It was an excellent shave. It's a nice handle. I wouldn't bin it. Good luck.
I have actually had that idea. Been on the 'bay looking around for one at a good price. Got a couple on my watch list!

Yes, the head is Zamak.

Someone with more knowledge than me would have to answer that. I have no idea who actually manufactures them. I could try that to see if it would work. Thanks for the idea!

It a Cadet razor (same as Pearl), made in India.

Top Bottom