What's new

Is this blade able to be honed.if so, any tips?

Hi guys
I bought this TI on BST and have been trying to get a shaveable edge on it. This is my only TI and I'm hitting a brick wall. I've attached a pic of the blade and what looks like honewear on the edge of the spine. I'm wondering if it is in fact honewear and if so, is this is the reason that I'm not getting a shaveable edge. I'm using a lapping film progression up to 1um with damp paper. I'm wondering if perhaps I need to tape the spine (never done this before). I'm a bit of a newb and this is my first honing question so if I've missed anything out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd really love to be able to use this straight. Thanks guys
Danny

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 143
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 145
Sure. Whats making you think it cant be? Slightly short at the toe but thats nothing. The heel doesnt look like it needs any correction either. PM me
if you want it honed for postage.

Last edited:
Looks perfectly hone worthy as buca said. Yes that is a little bit of hone wear on the spine, nothing to worry about. I suspect your not getting the bevel set and that is why you are having trouble. The bevel is the edge! The rest is polishing the edge.

Thanks guys. Its a bit of a mystery to me really. I bought it "shave ready" and basically thought I'd need to give the edge a bit of a polish but no dice. Then I had a go at a standard progression (but just a 3um to 1um to 1um on paper as I bought it shave ready so thought the bevel was good) and again, super clean edge under the loupe but doesn't shave. I wondered if the hone wear had affected the hone angle and I'd need to tape it up or something to get a decent bevel. I'm pretty much resigned to sending it out to get fixed up (my "kung foo" isn't strong enough to try to set a bevel yet) but thought if I ask the forum, they might be able to give me a tip or two or see something in the blade that I can't. There are no chips in the blade so what looks like a chip at the toe end in the pic is just a trick of the light. Thanks again.

Thanks for that. Good to know that I didn't buy a dud. I think I'll send her off to have someone with a bit more skill to have a crack. I'm not up to setting a bevel with any confidence quite yet. Thanks again. D

Looks perfectly hone worthy as buca said. Yes that is a little bit of hone wear on the spine, nothing to worry about. I suspect your not getting the bevel set and that is why you are having trouble. The bevel is the edge! The rest is polishing the edge.

Thanks for that. Good to know that I didn't buy a dud. I think I'll send her off to have someone with a bit more skill to have a crack. I'm not up to setting a bevel with any confidence quite yet. Thanks again. D
I can also put in a good word for buca3152.

You can do it. Don't fear the bevel.

If it was originally honed with tape, and you are not using tape, your attempts could be hitting on the shoulder of the bevel instead of the edge. One of first steps is to ensure that your stone/paper is hitting the edge. May need a magnifying glass and bright light to see. If you don't want to use tape, may need to reset the bevel with coarser medium. Just MHO.

Top Bottom