What's new

Old razor

My buddy just picked this up and I know nothing about it so I told him I'd post it here to find out. He'd like to fix it up if it's worth it. Thanks. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410865971.912552.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410865991.529164.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410866004.763901.jpg

Ugh. Without that chip in the blade this would be a great American Wade and Butcher. Looks like a 7/8 blade maybe? I don't really know if it can be saved but I don't have experience with working a chip like that out. Basically the entire cutting edge of the blade has to be scraped back until you have a full edge of Un-chipped metal. Looks like you'd lose a lot of the blade and I don't know how that would affect the grind and edge.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. You may want to post a few pics in the straight razor forum to see what some resto experts have to say.

It is going to lose a fair amount of blade, the issue is if the edge starts ridding up the stabilizer, then other problems ensue.

It would take a fair amount of work to make is shave ready again, and it won't look nearly as good as some, but I'd say it is possible to save it. As was mentioned, you'll lose a lot of metal on the edge to get that chip out, and will probably have to have some work done on the shoulders to make it feasible to take that much metal off. Being worth it or not to fix up is a personal judgement call, honestly. I'd guess the cost vs the best result end product isn't going to be worth it, but to be sure, I'd suggest emailing a few of the guys here that do full restores, send them the pics, get some quotes on that aspect.

I'd have bought it if it was cheap. The stabilized can be taken care of pretty easy but man I wouldn't want to hone that chip out.

Honestly, I would not mess with it. There are razors out there for less than $20 that are very close to being shave ready. You could spend hours and quite a few bucks on this thing and still not have much to show for it.

Well if you've bought it already, you have nothing to lose to try and fix it (except some time)!
I've saved razors that were actually worth far less than a WB. I can't help myself, the only razor I've ever thrown away is one that wouldn't take an edge because its temper was ruined.

Its definitely not worth sending out to someone for restore though, but if you hone through it until you get to the chip and remove some of the shoulder, I have no doubt you can get it shaving again. That's where a 325dmt is very useful!

Top Bottom