What's new

RIP Richard Kiel

Gents, I hope this is not a redundant posting get but I just noticed on some Web sits that Richard Kiel has passed away at 74. Most remember this giant as Jaws from one of the bond movies but he was in some others as well. He took a funny turn as a fan in Adam Sandler's Happy Gilmore. And as a slightly psychotic prison inmate/football player in The Longest Yard. He was also Club in Pale Rider. An easily recognisable actor at over 7 feet it will be a while before another like him comes along.

I loved him in The Longest Yard. "He broke my (expletive deleted) nose!" The guy who played "Shockley" (the nose breaker in question) did a series of ads for a Canadian chain of muffler shops. My brother-in-law worked for this chain and a bunch of them were invited to a meet and greet with their new spokesman. My brother-in-law asked me where he'd seen this guy before and I said, "He broke my (expletive deleted) nose!"
"The Longest Yard!" he replied.
My brother-in-law got an 8x10 glossy with the inscription, "I broke his (expletive deleted) nose".

Off topic slightly, and it doesn't mean his passing doesn't warrant a thread of its own, but Angus Lennie passed. He was Steve McQueen's wee Scots cooler buddy, Ives, in The Great Escape. Which brings to three cast members of that classic who've passed on in the past few months. Garner, Attenborough and now Lennie. A cursory check of IMDB shows David MacCallum and John Leyton, the tunnel digger with Bronson, the only "main" characters still with us.

Yes. Yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands. Why do you ask?

Who could forget this Richard Keil role:
$th-7.jpeg
$d6arDMUYLqJsczpLt4cakG7rZ56.jpg

I recall watching an interview Richard Kiel gave after the release of the movie James Bond movie where he played the role of "Jaws." As best I can recall he mentioned that the most difficult part of the film was having all the metal placed on his teeth. He mentioned that having that much metal installed was somewhat painful and made functioning with it was very uncomfortable. I totally believe him! Having that much metal installed on my teeth sounds unbearable.

I loved him in The Longest Yard. "He broke my (expletive deleted) nose!" The guy who played "Shockley" (the nose breaker in question) did a series of ads for a Canadian chain of muffler shops. My brother-in-law worked for this chain and a bunch of them were invited to a meet and greet with their new spokesman. My brother-in-law asked me where he'd seen this guy before and I said, "He broke my (expletive deleted) nose!"
"The Longest Yard!" he replied.
My brother-in-law got an 8x10 glossy with the inscription, "I broke his (expletive deleted) nose".

Off topic slightly, and it doesn't mean his passing doesn't warrant a thread of its own, but Angus Lennie passed. He was Steve McQueen's wee Scots cooler buddy, Ives, in The Great Escape. Which brings to three cast members of that classic who've passed on in the past few months. Garner, Attenborough and now Lennie. A cursory check of IMDB shows David MacCallum and John Leyton, the tunnel digger with Bronson, the only "main" characters still with us.

Yes. Yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands. Why do you ask?

Bruce, nice story. BTW the actor who portrayed the nose breaker in the Longest Yard was Robert Tessier. Sometimes billed as Bob Tessier. He was a long time stunt man(I think) and character actor who played a lot of heavies or henchman types. One 'nice' role he had was in The Deep with Robert Shaw. A favourite action movie of mine in my teens.

He was from my hometown of Fresno. A local celeb as well as a big one. Very personable guy, faithful Christian, and well liked by many. A friend of mine from high school actually married into the family. I remember him, before I was old enough for Bond, from a local commercial for a dinky used car lot. Sadly it seems lost to the ages except for Fresno natives memories, but it featured him standing on the hood of a car yelling about this place called Auto Chopper, then overhead swinging an axe into the car smashing it up. Pretty freaking funny but hard to forget :)

RIP Richard

Top Bottom