What's new

Why are we all here?

Can you remember what it was that brought you into wet shaving? It might be fun to reminisce. For me I would never shave because of the seemingly unavoidable razor burn with the goop and cartridge. In my shaving "research" I stumbled across the art of manliness online and thought the classic approach looked cool. After I bought a 63 Gillette SS Flare Tip on eBay for next to nothing I went crazy and started collecting a bunch of stuff. I was religiously watching Nick Shaves, Mantic, GeoFatBoy, and others on YouTube. Now that it has calmed down I have built a shave nest and I'm curious about how everyone else got here.

I was cleaning out my basement a few months ago and came across a box of stuff that came from my Uncle's Estate. I was looking through it and found his Cased Fatboy and some blades started looking on Google and ended up here. I haven't used a cart or canned goo since.

I have always been curious/envious of traditional shaving since I started shaving with a single edge that belonged to my (possibly great?) grandfather. Back when I was about 6 I would hang out in the bathroom while dad shaved and he would let me use some of his shaving cream to lather up then I got to use the razor (no blade in the thing) to "shave".
A few years later I was preparing for my wedding and was reading up on traditional shaving and after stumbling upon this forum of fine people decided to take the plunge! Got a cheap Merkur from The Amazon and a VDH beginners set (brush, stand, bowl, and soap). I started shaving with it right away and about 2 months later was ready for the shave of my life.
That was about 2.5 years ago and is a decision I have never looked back on. In fact, recently purchased my first straight razor for that next level shave!

My story is similar to yours, after being dissatisfied with my electric razor I went looking for alternatives and wound up on the art of manliness, I believe B&B was referenced in the article, or one of their shaving articles, and so I signed up. Came for the information, stayed for the people. :D

B&B is horrible, usually, for enabling my AD. I have a handful of DE's and injector, a SE, and a few straights now. And even more software. I recently signed up for GRU-Christmas, gotta enjoy my freedom while I can...

Thank you, my name is Trent and I am an addict. :p

I owe it to a great friend and fellow member here, *Terence*. I was a very very reluctant convert. It took him about 3 or 4 attempts to get me to give shaving with a ball end tech a whirl, with 0 success. It sat in my mirror. Then he brought over a few of his finds and convinced me to give it another whirl with a gillette slim. Then for a birthday gift he gave me the slim making it my first DE razor. Now, I was still lurking around here, and still shaving with shave gel in a can at this point. In June, my good buddy got me to cave and introduce myself to you great guys and Im really happy I did, because I have learned so much and enjoy myself alot here. You guys are great.

Thanks Terence!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
After I used a Gillette Tech in the Army in 1960, I later tried the "lastest and greatest" in carts even though I used a brush and mug. When Fusion blades got expensive I told my son about my long gone Tech and he said "Look on Ebay". I did and found Gillettes of all kinds and Googled for reviews which led me to B&B and I joined.

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't make decent lather. Turns out I just needed to use more product... Ya know, 20 tubs of cream, a dozen after shaves, enough cologne to last a lifetime, and about 50 de/SE/sr razors to boot.

I was researching Harry's and Dollar Shave Club when I ran across wet shaving, and found it really intriguing.

I'm waiting on my initial DE gear to arrive this week to get started!

I was researching Harry's and Dollar Shave Club when I ran across wet shaving, and found it really intriguing.

I'm waiting on my initial DE gear to arrive this week to get started!
Welcome to B&B! Your gonna have allot of fun and you'll learn allot! I hope you got some spending money stashed some were cuz you'll get curious and want to try everything! Enjoy the journey! As for me I was trying to save money and looking for an irritation free shave. Haha at least I have less irritation! :lol:

I retired, so no more Mach 3 shaves in the shower every morning. I did use a brush and good soap, but it was hatin'. Then I scored a new apartment with an extra-big can, big sink, etc. I remembered my first twenty years of DE shaving and thought how swell it would be to recreate that. Found B&B pretty much at once, discovered that my old razor had been what is now called a Fatboy. Bought a great one on Ebay, got my old brush restored with a WD silvertip knot. Off I went. Now 20 minutes of great pleasure and relaxation whenever I shave.

I was searching for something (can't remember what), and came upon a Mantic video. Bought some gear a few days later...

To save money. $point-and-laugh.jpg

Top Bottom