What's new

New Find In The Wild. I Need Help.

I just found this, today, at an antique mall. I paid $14 for it, only because I havent seen any up close, and it looks unused. I cannot find any history on this. I only know that it is a Star 1912 Bakelite, with a dark chocolate brown Bakelite handle. As I said, it looks unused. I have other 1912's that I use once in a while. Should I keep this unused, or fulfill its destiny?

$P9150466.jpg$P9150467.jpg

The pictures dont look good. There are no scratches on it. Very shiny.

Last edited:
Looks nice. If I were you I would use it and ad your history to it. Unless you think it is really valuable . I would fire it up, a couple of shaves couldn't hurt, could it?

Looks nice. If I were you I would use it and ad your history to it. Unless you think it is really valuable . I would fire it up, a couple of shaves couldn't hurt, could it?

That's the conundrum. I don't know much about this razor, or its collectability.

To me, this would be very easy: I WOULD NOT shave with it until I had all the information I wanted. I have a NOS Schick Krona from the early 70's, and I am not going to use it. It's not that it is very rare or valuable, it's just going to be one of very few unused everyday items from that era. Once you have used it, it's not new anymore. No matter how much you clean it.
'

If you found it loose, out of the box, you can assume it has been used. It is in no where near Mint, unused condition. It looks used to me. Don't get me wrong, it looks like it is in good condition, but the scratches alone decrease it's condition from mint, even if it was unused.
Even if it did look pristine, unless it was in the box, or had something else indicating it to be new, it still will not have the value of NIB. Plus, it's a pretty common razor, and not one worth a terrible amount of money even if it was sealed in a box.

Use it!

Even in pristine condition, it has little or no collector value without the original box and ideally, the original instructions. Furthermore, the chrome plating is tough - you will not scratch it by using it a few times. Go for it.

--Bob

Nice score and a good price. Congrats. TheVez nailed it on use or not. I would only not use a vintage if it were truly pristine in the case with all accessories and in NOS condition. Otherwise, load it up and shave away!!

If you found it loose, out of the box, you can assume it has been used. It is in no where near Mint, unused condition. It looks used to me. Don't get me wrong, it looks like it is in good condition, but the scratches alone decrease it's condition from mint, even if it was unused.
Even if it did look pristine, unless it was in the box, or had something else indicating it to be new, it still will not have the value of NIB. Plus, it's a pretty common razor, and not one worth a terrible amount of money even if it was sealed in a box.

Use it!

Top Bottom