What's new

Must try cigars?

So I see a must try pipe thread... What do you guys consider must try cigars?

I would hope everyone tries an Opus X at some point just to see if it lives up to the hype or not. But I have been smoking Liga Private stuff lately and definitely recommend it.

I am a pipe guy now, but used to smoke cigars quite a bit.

Opus X lives up to the hype, but only if you are getting them for normal retail rather than being gouged. Back in the late 90s, retail was anywhere between $8-$16 per cigar, but the price in store around here was up to $90 per cigar. It's not nearly as bad now, but I am happy to pay $12 (give or take) for an Opus X, but not $25+. This doesn't even get into their more limited run Hidden Valley (or whatever it is called)...

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
For the $ I would pick a Padron Anniversary or Ashton VSG over an Opus X any day. The X's are nice if you enjoy chewing on pepper corns, but I would rather have something more balanced.

CroMagnon Aquitaine Knuckledragger, Liga Privada T52, any Opus X, Oliva Serie V torpedo/belicoso, My Father Le Bijou 1922 petit robusto....for starters...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hmmm...must try cigars...I'll go with Cubans! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best". Sir Winston S. Churchill

Just to add to everything that's been said...

I'm a fan of The Griffins robusto. Not anything earth shattering, but it's a nice cigar that consistently is well behaved. Plus, you can usually find a good deal on them at places like Joe Cigar, Cigar Bid, or Cigar Monster... all websites run by either Cigars International or Famous Smoke.

Oh and pretty much any cigar created by AJ Fernandez.

I don't remember the name, but try one of those barber-pole striped cigars that have both Maduro and Shade wrappers in one.

Several companies make them. Some brands are crap, but the good ones are unbelievably smooth and tasty.

Dark wrapper
Brickhouse Maduro
CAO Extreme

Light wrapper
Man O'war Virtue
Hoya De Montery Excalibur

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a dark spicy smoke and sometimes I like a creamy oak flavored smoke.

Here are the few and only non-habanos that I still enjoy and stock up on

AF fuente fuente opus x with a least 3 years of rest (people get disappointed with this one because they smoke them too fresh IMO)
Quesada espana corona - an excellent cigar
AF Anejo 46 - great smokes
Padron x000 series with at least 2 years of age

Keep these in mind for future stockpiling, 2 years go by quicker than you think.

Top Bottom