What's new

hey folks, question about pre shave and noxema.if you could,please answer.

hey guys, with noxema and glycerin whole foods bar preshave, do i want to rub them in and then take them off or run them in and let sit?

pumped to shave today after a 5/10 shave two days ago. really focused on blade angle and got a lot of stubble off. taking a gulp in helps that neck skin flatten out a bit. that was helpful.

any answers/advice are appreciated. bic chromes should be coming in mail today. well see how they work with my tech.

With Noxema, I take an almond-sized amount in my hand (maybe a little less, actually)...mix it with warm water...spread it over my face...and then apply lather. The Noxema/water mix should be very thin.

With glycerine soap, I use it as I would to wash my face, but only rinse lightly, leaving some suds still on my face, then lather.

In either case, don't rinse the pre-shave completely off before lathering.

Happy shaves to you!

I've just started using Noxzema as a preshave. I apply a good amount and leave it on while I get my lather ready, then rinse it all off and then lather. I may try leaving a small layer and lather over it eventually just to see how that is.

i hear you guys. i gotta go back and fourth between noxema. i think with a slight improvement in technique after practicing a lot, it might work better for me next time. last time i thought it kinda slowed the razor glide down. i now think the decrease in glide was because my soap was too dry.

Put on the soap then rinse off slightly with a splash. I still have some soap in my beard then put on noxzema making sure its a thin application that is pretty wet. Then I put on lather. I put on the noxzema before each pass except for the cleanup.

This is what I've found works best for me, but I'm no expert. The noxzema works well with proraso green.

I wet my face and put on the Noxzema, then make my lather for a couple of minutes. When the lather is ready, I wet my face again and apply the lather directly.

+1 for this. Very thin layer and then lather right over it.

With Noxema, I take an almond-sized amount in my hand (maybe a little less, actually)...mix it with warm water...spread it over my face...and then apply lather. The Noxema/water mix should be very thin.

With glycerine soap, I use it as I would to wash my face, but only rinse lightly, leaving some suds still on my face, then lather.

In either case, don't rinse the pre-shave completely off before lathering.

Happy shaves to you!

hey guys, with noxema and glycerin whole foods bar preshave, do i want to rub them in and then take them off or run them in and let sit?

pumped to shave today after a 5/10 shave two days ago. really focused on blade angle and got a lot of stubble off. taking a gulp in helps that neck skin flatten out a bit. that was helpful.

any answers/advice are appreciated. bic chromes should be coming in mail today. well see how they work with my tech.
I prefer Astras with a mild type razor such a the Tech.

interesting. i thought id go for the mild razor, mild blade route.

tonight i had a decent shave. used some different techniques but got a bit carried away and skin burns a bit. i think if your technique is right any blade can work.

i might find myself going for a less sharp blade after i check out these yellows and bic chromes.

interesting. i thought id go for the mild razor, mild blade route.

tonight i had a decent shave. used some different techniques but got a bit carried away and skin burns a bit. i think if your technique is right any blade can work.

i might find myself going for a less sharp blade after i check out these yellows and bic chromes.
Astras are the choice then.

I saw where another member recommended mixing Noxema with a small amount of glycerin. Sounds like a great idea, and I'm going to give it a try.

I use a moisturizer (nivia) right before I shower. I make sure I get it in all the tough spots like my mustache and jaw line. I shower up, towel it off, and then apply my lather.

I saw where another member recommended mixing Noxema with a small amount of glycerin. Sounds like a great idea, and I'm going to give it a try.
I was just looking at the ingredients of the "moisturizing" vs the "classic" Noxzema...and the former has glycerin. Two birds, one stone?

I think so! I'll probably pick up the "moisturizing" variety next time. I've been using regular Noxema mixed with a couple of drops of glycerin added in. I prefer it to just plain Noxema; the consistency is smoother, like a thick milkshake, and it spreads easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom