What's new

Feather blades - strong irritation

Feathers work well for me in my 34c. I didn't like the Merkur blades. OP, I agree with your strategy of trying something else and coming back to the Feathers sometime in the future. They might not be the right blade for you. As Eeyore said, if you like the Merkur blades, by all means keep using them.

I say, be happy. Feathers cost more than the average blade. If you don't like them, you can save money. If at a later time, your razor or technique changes, you can come back and see if they suit you then. But for now, enjoy shaving with cheapies. I know I do.

All things being equal, Feathers work well for me in my Fat-handled Tech, all my other razors? Not so much.... YMMV with these blades especially!

If you do not have super coarse beard, something like Gillette Silver Blue or Polsilver SI might be a better option than Feather. At this moment I prefer Feather regardless of razor as I have very coarse beard and less sharp blades causes me to add passes.

Earlier I was a big fan of both Silver Blues and Polsilver and they are both sharp, but still smooth. Now I try to trade them for Feather. You might like Feather later.

Six weeks ago: Feather in a Gillette Tech = face planted in the fires of Mount Doom
Last week: Feather in a Gillette Tech = Issue free BBS :)

Well just look 2 posts above my post... Eeyore is another member whos quoted me and gave an opinion

I can't believe that others didn't see it.

Agree with the original sentiment that it might just not be the blade to go for. Maybe not yet, maybe not ever. No harm in that at all

Feather blades don't do it for me either. Regardless of razor. I find them really sharp but totally unforgiving. GSBs are nearly as sharp but a lot smoother on my face. I guess YMMV when it comes to blades. Check out the Great Blade Exchange and maybe the perfect blade for you is still out there.

I am lucky I suppose. I can use Feathers in any razor at any time with excellent results. The only complaint I have is that they do not last more than three shaves. I might squeeze the fourth, but fifth shave is not pretty.

My daily blade is Astra SP.

I am in DE shaving for more than 3 years now. I frequently use Muhle R41 (2013) with 7O'Clock Black without any problems. I did not like the feeling of Feathers in my R41 at all. But whenever I use Feathers in my mild razors like R89, I get a very smooth and irritation free shave. Strangely, even though I have no irritation or nicks or weepers, my skin turns reddish in colour for 2-3 hours. After that, skin colour slowly comes back to normal. I don't experience this redness with any other blade. I think, Feathers are just not for my skin. :001_unsur

Last edited:
OP- I wouldn't work too hard to make one razor blade 'work' for you. Like several posts have alluded to, there is SO much product in the wet shaving world that it seems silly to punish yourself with something that just doesn't work. Personally, though, I'm with you. I really wanted feathers to be the answer. They have that hallowed recognition, they're dangerously sharp, and you have to get them brought in special from Asia, like a fine opium. Alas, Feathers have been hit or miss since I picked up a ten pack last week. I got a full prep in today and took my time with technique, and still got irritation. I'm going to carefully manage my prep time this week and stick with feathers to gauge the accuracy of the 'better with time' claims. If I'm having similar problems heading into the weekend, the feathers are out and I'll go back to Astra SPs in my 34c. That blade has performed wonderfully for me in both my rasors and if feathers don't, why push the issue?

It seems like many feather fans have fairly course beards and don't have sensitive skin. As a pale, sensitive skinned daily shaver, I find I get the best shaves from careful regenerative pre/post routines and a forgiving blade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom