What's new

SE Garage sale finds.what do I have?

I recently came across a large haul of razors at a garage sale. Once cleaned up they were all in A+ condition. I am mainly a DE guy but I have used an old Kampfe SE a couple times.

I am not sure of exactly what I have. 1 is a Schick injector(canadian), and the other 2 are a Gem and an Ever-Ready. Ive been reading this forum a lot lately and trying to figure out what I have but I cannot pinpoint it. I included a couple picks to help with dating. Thanks a lot guys.

$schick1.jpg
$schick2.jpg
The Gem and Ever-Ready
$SE1.jpg
$SE2.jpg
$SE3.jpg

The Schick is a G-8, a very good shaver! I can't recall much about the older Gem, EveReady, and Star SEs, though. Mine are primarily more recent.

Nice finds!

The Schick G8 Rib Handle is very nice. Not super rare, but much harder to find than the standard G1 smooth handle. A great shaver.

The GEM 1912 is a great SE. Use this one first, it will be the milder of the two you have. 1912 is the patent year, they were made up to the 40s and are near impossible to date.

The ER 1924 is also nicknamed the Shovel Head. Again, 1924 is the patent year and was also made into the 40s.

The Ever Ready is sometimes referred to as a "Shovelhead," and is generally considered to be more agressive than the 1912, so you might want to start with the 1912 or the Schick before the 1924.

If you've been reading this forum you already know what I'm about to say, but it bears repeating: Be sure to obtain your SE blades for the 1912 and the Ever Ready from a drugstore or online, NOT from the hardware store. The blades sold there are for paint scrapers and box cutters. They look identical to the blades for shaving, but do not have the same quality edge and will tear your face up.

--Bob

Nice finds!

The Schick G8 Rib Handle is very nice. Not super rare, but much harder to find than the standard G1 smooth handle. A great shaver.

The GEM 1912 is a great SE. Use this one first, it will be the milder of the two you have. 1912 is the patent year, they were made up to the 40s and are near impossible to date.

The ER 1924 is also nicknamed the Shovel Head. Again, 1924 is the patent year and was also made into the 40s.
Great info thank you
The Ever Ready is sometimes referred to as a "Shovelhead," and is generally considered to be more agressive than the 1912, so you might want to start with the 1912 or the Schick before the 1924.

If you've been reading this forum you already know what I'm about to say, but it bears repeating: Be sure to obtain your SE blades for the 1912 and the Ever Ready from a drugstore or online, NOT from the hardware store. The blades sold there are for paint scrapers and box cutters. They look identical to the blades for shaving, but do not have the same quality edge and will tear your face up.

--Bob
Lol. Yes I will not buy them from home depot!! But good advice!

hell I recently was gifted a g 1 and tore up my face anyway. got a nifty blade sharpener and some Chairman shaving cream.
Really? The injectors have to be the easiest, most intuitive shave in all of traditional wet shaving. Must be the blades you are using. I sold an injector to someone and he swore up and down I gave him a bum razor. After he returned it and tried another injector, he realized his blades were bad.

yea I agree. intuiative for sure but I have a mole on the corner of my lip ..... for my skin two things kill any razor burn: trumper skin food and Murad Razor burn rescue. murad has a nice cleansing shave cream too but it gets lost among all my soap/cream tribes. get the murad at Ulta in the mall otherwise hard to find. swear by it but pricey at 37 a tube. love this website. detailed cars for years and got too damn old but bbs who can avoid that?

yea I agree. intuiative for sure but I have a mole on the corner of my lip ..... for my skin two things kill any razor burn: trumper skin food and Murad Razor burn rescue. murad has a nice cleansing shave cream too but it gets lost among all my soap/cream tribes. get the murad at Ulta in the mall otherwise hard to find. swear by it but pricey at 37 a tube. love this website. detailed cars for years and got too damn old but bbs who can avoid that?

Tell me more about the murad, is it a brushless cream?

All those old Gems and other brands with the closed comb work GREAT for me. I got about a dozen different ones so far.

Top Bottom