What's new

Is it a bad idea to clean and use this antique razor?

Hello, I bought what appears to be an ancient Gillette (Patent Nov 1904) single ring open comb razor from an antique store for about $9. I would love to try and use this razor, but it needs some serious clean up and there appears to be some green rust in the comb area.

Questions:
1) is it a bad idea to try and use such an old razor?

2) would cleaning off the "rust/gunk/Pettina" harm any value that it may hold now or in the future?

Any input or thought are appreciated.

Thanks!

First, welcome to B&B. Second, you'll find that when we hear "antique store" and "$9," our natural reaction is to demand pictures! :lol:

What you described sounds like an early Gillette, and unless it's a rare double-ring or something, the majority of us folks are probably going to recommend using it. :) Looking forward to pics. :)

Congrats on your score. Cleaning and even replating razors does not diminish their value, unlike many collectables. There were millions of thee made, so clean away and enjoy.

Post some pictures for us!

To answer your specific questions: 1) many of us regularly use razors over 100 years old. 2) pretty unlikely that a proper cleaning will hurt the value. Just make sure you don't use any harsh cleaning techniques that will damage the finish. (Which varies depending on the finish) Again, pictures will help.

Cheers!

No, and no.

Unless you have found one of the signed examples of the Single Ring, it is not terribly valuable to begin with, and I don't see it becoming too valuable anytime soon. Many people have and use them, they're fantastic shavers.

Clean it up and enjoy.

No, and no.

Unless you have found one of the signed examples of the Single Ring, it is not terribly valuable to begin with, and I don't see it becoming too valuable anytime soon. Many people have and use them, they're fantastic shavers.

Clean it up and enjoy.

I was going to offer up this advice, but then I thought "what if he's stumbled into some rare gold plated double-ring, or a signed old type." Great minds think alike. ;-)

I was going to offer up this advice, but then I thought "what if he's stumbled into some rare gold plated double-ring, or a signed old type." Great minds think alike. ;-)

A gold plated Double Ring would be the greatest score ever! :w00t: Yeah, we never know. That's why pics are always advisable! :001_smile

I am kicking myself now for not snapping a pic of this razor. I"ll take a pic after work today and post it. I appreciate all the feedback so far. The only other info I can add at this time is that (1) it is gold colored (2) I'm pretty sure it's a single ring. I did a little research after buying it. I am having a hard time nailing down the year. The serial number (or whatever number it is) is in the comb plate.

I am a newbie, looking for fun. Jumping into wet shaving has been fun so far. Have some history with a Gillette slim twist and just got a gold Mercur HD on Amazon. Been trying various inexpensive soaps and creams thus far. Fun!

Anyways, will get some pics up here later. Thanks again!

These kind of razor works with a lot shallower angle than most modern razors. They were made for men coming from shaving with a straight. When you use a straight you also have very shallow angle.

Of all open combs I have used, I find the Old type to be the most challenging to use as I have to unlearn my muscle memory. If you shave at wrong angle and with pressure, this one will feel rough on the skin. This was not a big problem for people coming from shaving with a straight razor as they already needed zero pressure and very shallow angle.

I suspect the reason they later introduced the "NEW" was that the Old type was too difficult for a beginner with no prior shaving... That said, if you master the Old type you have a great shaver! This one is just not the typical open comb experience and requires a bit of a curve.

IMO the Old Type is the most aggressive Gillette, but it's nowhere near the aggressiveness of some of the modern razors.

Shallow or steep,both angles work with the Old Types, due to their blade exposure. It's up to you to experiment and find the one that works the best on your face.

IMO the Old Type is the most aggressive Gillette, but it's nowhere near the aggressiveness of some of the modern razors.

Shallow or steep,both angles work with the Old Types, due to their blade exposure. It's up to you to experiment and find the one that works the best on your face.

Thanks! Once I get this razor cleaned up, i'll likely shave with it because I'm shocked to find that the new Mercur HD i just got does not seem aggressive to me. It may be my technique though.

The golden rule in antiques is don't touch it, leave the patina, don't clean it, don't remove that rusty health hazard of a blade, don't do anything to alter the way it looks right now or you will diminish the value of it!

Rubbish.

With razors, cleaning them up, polishing them, and getting them back into usable condition actually increases their value. By all means, clean it up and use it. Oh and we're going to need to see those pics now. :popc:

The golden rule in antiques is don't touch it, leave the patina, don't clean it, don't remove that rusty health hazard of a blade, don't do anything to alter the way it looks right now or you will diminish the value of it!

Rubbish.

With razors, cleaning them up, polishing them, and getting them back into usable condition actually increases their value. By all means, clean it up and use it. Oh and we're going to need to see those pics now. :popc:

Sorry, sorry. Will post pics after work.

Glad to hear that i can clean and use it. I need to get cleaning supplies. I saw the Wiki on that today. Should be fun

I love my Old Type. I wouldn't say they are aggressive but they are unforgiving. So go slow. When I first started everyone said use a shallow angle and I wasn't sure what that was. On your face start with the handle sticking straight out (90°) from tour cheek. And then slowly bring it down to the floor until it starts cutting. Also no pressure, just let the weight of the razor do the work.
Good luck and yes pictures.

A true silver plated Single Ring benefits from the aluminum foil and baking soda cleanse.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ck-Photo-Tutorial-for-Restoring-Silver-Razors

Great suggestion Tony, but the OP said it's gold plated, and I wouldn't use this method on a gold plated razor. I know you know, but maybe you missed that detail and it's important to clarify.

EDIT: Actually the OP said "gold colored" ... which may or may not be gold plating ... :lol: Pics will help for sure.

Great suggestion Tony, but the OP said it's gold plated, and I wouldn't use this method on a gold plated razor. I know you know, but maybe you missed that detail and it's important to clarify.

EDIT: Actually the OP said "gold colored" ... which may or may not be gold plating ... :lol: Pics will help for sure.

I missed that fer shure :)

In that case, washing up liquid and hot water soaks and very very gentle rubbing.

Top Bottom