What's new

1911 single ring, first testrun.

Got hold of a 1911 single ring recently. The razor is a real beaty, and the silver plating shone tight up with a little help from some silver polish.

Today I thought Id take it for a spinn, so after a shower I stuffed a feather in it, and proceeded to lather up with c&e sandalwood with my omega 48. The lather was runny and bubbly well into my third pass (having trouble getting good lather with this combo) So after 4 passes wtg, xtgx2 atg my face feels just raw, the shave was not THAT close, and I feel a bit dissappointed. I guess It Is my tecnique betraying my shortcommings.

I prep my face by showering, lathering, hot towel, rinse, relather....

Is the feather just not the best with an oc?

Will try again In a day or two using my badger and some Cade cream. Maybe that will solve parts of the issue.

StAndre

Nothing is wrong with Feather in an OC. However the razor you aquired was made for people using a straight and is one of the most aggressive open combs. In the same way as a straight should have very shallow angle this one also requires this.

There are milder open combs available. Gillette NEW is already a lot milder.

Ok. So a shallow angle is key.

I tried to shave by sound, but I have trouble getting my chin and jaw smooth.

StAndre

I don't have a single ring, but they are supposed to be great shavers, albeit somewhat aggressive.

While shaving, did you feel the comb teeth on your face? If yes, you definitely need a shallower angle.

Angle is the key on this razor. With a little practice you will get it down in no time. Keep us posted and Congrats on a great razor.

2 passes + some touch ups is all I need using a Single Ring. Also, for me the SR works equally well using both shallow and steep angle, just like the R41.

I would drop at least one of those passes. You can do 50 passes, that doesn't mean your shave will be better. Better shaves come with better technique.

The Single Ring is my favourite vintage razor. I've had only one rough shave with them, and that was with a Feather blade. 7 O'Clock Yellow, Polsilver and Gillette Silver Blue are superb.

Angle and light pressure are the keys. When you think you've got it right, go a little bit lighter. Here are some instructions included with the original razors.

View attachment 496255View attachment 496256

I usually shim my SRs, either with a modern blade or an old 3 hole blade. I then tighten the knob until firm, which is less than fully tight.

Perservere, it will be worth the effort.

Cheers, George

Last edited:
The single ring is one of my favorite razors and it was my first open comb. It did take a few shaves to find the right angle that worked for me though. Once my technique improved, I found that it is a razor that provides great shaves every time.

Top Bottom