What's new

Does anybody here use one soap exclusively?

Or one soap at a time, until it is used up?

I've considered trying to thin out my shave den, choosing a few absolute favorites and sticking with them. So far, I've had no luck at all. I'm not even sure it's possible. :001_unsur

I've been quite happy with what I started with AOS cream. I tried MWF, which I didn't have a great experience with. I'll probably give that one another go after figuring out something after the fact that might well change my experience with it next time. Meanwhile I'm continuing on with the AOS cream.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I used to rotate, but you know what, it really makes more sense to go at it hot and heavy. Use it up! The soap surface remains hydrated, you're prepared for it, and you'll get rid of it quicker.

Boom.

Well, I keep thinking, "Sure!" Then it becomes "Maybe." Finally, "Some day." The problem is that there are so many creams and croaps and soaps that are just so good that even if I wanted to, I couldn't pick out "the" best.

It's part of the human condition to want to see what's over the next hill. Same with shaving soap. Curiosity makes me want to try something new I just heard about. Some are sort of eh, ok, nothing special; a few are astoundingly good. And the act of discovering and using is so much fun.

I recently left my comfort zone of rose and almond; I found a European soap that is so good that I came thiiiis close to saying, "Game over; this is the one." Learned this week it's been discontinued. On I go...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I always keep about 10/12 soaps in my rotation and use them randomly, or as I desire that day. Pretty much the same for all my other shaving gear and grooming products. Otherwise, where's the fun?

I have a handful of favorites that I keep going back to -- Mike's Hungarian Lavender, Arko, C&E West Indian Lime, MWF, Classic Shaving Rose -- but I wouldn't enjoy being limited to just one.

I use two soaps in rotation.
This year it's a Palmolive stick and the Vergulde Hand.

Next year it will be Schafsmilch by Haslinger and the second one... quite not sure yet.

I'll use just one for a week then move onto something else. Of late, I've been using C&E Sienna in the wood bowl exclusively for going on 3 weeks now. I'm attempting to use nothing but until it is used up.

I've been doing this since April and I think it lets me learn more about a particular soap. My lather has gotten more consistent. One more variable removed from the equation and I can focus on getting a good 2 pass shave, every day. I will admit that it is not as exciting as trying out a new soap every day, but it has helped bring a little more discipline as far as spending my way. Come over to the 3017 thread for a good read.

I'm testing blades right now to liberate myself from the future of Russian manufacturing, so I've been using Arko pretty much exclusively every day for the past month. A few times I've pulled out Tabac for the second use of a blade I particularly like, but I try to stick with Arko for the first shave of each blade brand to maintain consistency.

Been a lot of surprises.

I used to have a LOT of soaps, but I'm kind of rigorous when it comes to things that I keep and things that I don't. If it isn't "great" then it doesn't stay. I've PIF'ed and sold a lot of soaps that were for me just "good" -- not "great". There's very few left now. A few pucks of Stirling, Tabac, Arko, RazoRock American Blend, Godrej Round, a tube of Speick cream, and a tube of Proraso Green.

Of these it's beginning to look like RazoRock and Proraso won't make the next cut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom