What's new

Does anybody here use one soap exclusively?

Never really understood using different stuff everyday. I tend to go through long bouts of using one product, then eventually move onto another.
I've been trying to use up a few products, and have dedicated myself to themed months like Arko August last month, Speick-tember now and RazoRock-tober next month. I did use my HTGAM Lavender Cedar for the first two months of this year exclusively, but that's the longest I've done. I have still to use up a soap or cream yet.

The 3017'ers seem to actually rush to finish their soaps. Its obscene how much product gets used!
I honestly can't do the "load it like you hate it" method of using products, and I can't do it for two reasons. The first is that I'm a cheap bastard and that sort of waste bothers me, so I don't do it; the second reason is that I have pretty soft water, and if I tried to load that heavy, I'd need a swimming pool to get enough space and water to make the lather usable.

I honestly can't do the "load it like you hate it" method of using products, and I can't do it for two reasons. The first is that I'm a cheap bastard and that sort of waste bothers me, so I don't do it; the second reason is that I have pretty soft water, and if I tried to load that heavy, I'd need a swimming pool to get enough space and water to make the lather usable.

I have moderately hard water, about 6 or 7 gpg. Just don't get the load it like you hate it theory, or practice. There are a couple soaps that are prone to loose lather with too little soap, but you can always go back to the puck. I think the load hydrate method may use more soap than the wet brush method I use. Just a guess, but really the load hydrate method doesn't make much sense to me for soap. It does for a cream where you can physically scoop the cream, but for a soap you really do need water, and some agitation. As well adding new water adds more hard ions which destroy lather to produce soap scum. So I use a sopping wet brush and load sideways or upside down so the water can fall off which it will.

Anyway works for me, and I certainly use far less soap than some.

I have only a handful of soaps. I typically stick with one soap for an extended period of time (a couple weeks) before going to another.

My new thing is to keep only one soap per brand. I really enjoy experiencing what each soap maker has to offer. On a day to day basis, I keep 2-3 soaps in my medicine cabinet and use them until I feel a need for a change. The rest of my soaps are packed away awaiting their turn. The exception comes when I feel like a soap is nearing completion. Then I use it exclusively to kill it off.

I can't say that I 'load it like I hate it'...but I do subscribe to the 'use more soap' mantra. I do think those are different. 'More soap' helps you eliminate all of the lathering issues that can occur when you use too little (thin, disappearing, etc)...but loading like you hate is just meant to kill soap faster. Although I can understand that mentality as well. We want to experience more of what's out there, but feel guilty about having too much stuff....so the solution is to get through the stuff we have faster. Nothing wrong with that!

Last edited:
I usually rotate every three days or so.
About three weeks ago, Barrister & Mann Lavanille came up in rotation. I am intoxicated with this soap's scent and have used it everyday since. I'll probably use it everyday until it is gone.

Of course, since it's a soap I love, it has been discontinued. :a32:

I did order two more tubs today, so it's not as bad as it could be.

I have a handful of favorites that I keep going back to -- Mike's Hungarian Lavender, Arko, C&E West Indian Lime, MWF, Classic Shaving Rose -- but I wouldn't enjoy being limited to just one.
How does c&e west Indian limes lather for you?

I wonder when, historically, shavers starting using more than one soap at the same time. I doubt many did it prior to the 60s. I have absolutely nothing to base this on other than speculation. When wet shaving was the only shaving, my guess is that the vast majority used only one soap, many likely used the same soap their whole lives.

Experimenting doesn't lead to lust, it leads to dissapointment!

Huh? That not my experience, and Mrs. Andy77 would agree.

She likes to use as many different different shampoos and facial cleansers as I use shaving products.

Wait, are we still talking about shaving soaps?

I use multiple shampoos. Mostly for dandruff control though. With shaving soap though I am sensitive to scents and many burn my skin. If that wasn't true I'd probably be more cavalier. I tend to find a product I like and stick with it. It does help with SAD.

I have 3/4 of a 150ml tub of proraso white left which i started with but I'm onto Arko now just because it's cheap.
I'll probably try to always own 2 but I'll likely keep reaching for the same thing over and over and over again till it's gone then switch to the other and buy something different but still cheap.
I'm dying to try cella in all honestly but I couldn't let myself buy any until i've used up either the arko or proraso white.

Sure I'm such a newb so far anyway that i haven't even purchased blades in bulk yet, I was very nicely PIFed a lot of voskhods and I'd be the same with those, no bulk blades until they're gone but I'll still know what I'll be getting.

I wonder when, historically, shavers starting using more than one soap at the same time. I doubt many did it prior to the 60s. I have absolutely nothing to base this on other than speculation. When wet shaving was the only shaving, my guess is that the vast majority used only one soap, many likely used the same soap their whole lives.

I'm guessing it started shortly after B&B started. :wink2:

I have moderately hard water, about 6 or 7 gpg. Just don't get the load it like you hate it theory, or practice. There are a couple soaps that are prone to loose lather with too little soap, but you can always go back to the puck. I think the load hydrate method may use more soap than the wet brush method I use. Just a guess, but really the load hydrate method doesn't make much sense to me for soap. It does for a cream where you can physically scoop the cream, but for a soap you really do need water, and some agitation. As well adding new water adds more hard ions which destroy lather to produce soap scum. So I use a sopping wet brush and load sideways or upside down so the water can fall off which it will.

Anyway works for me, and I certainly use far less soap than some.

Hard water? heh, 13+ gpg here.

Kevin

Looks like I'm a 100% Arko convert. I hated the smell at 1st but I just realized after taking a quick wiff that it's grown on me.

While it's not the most moisturizing soap out there it sure works. The Cult of Arko might be getting a new member soon.

Yes I do. Been using the same MWF puck for over 6 months now. I have an Art of Shaving puck waiting for me next that my wife bought me...if I ever finish the MWF.

Back in the days before there were shaving forums I never had more than one soap in my house at any time. I used AOS and when I finished a puck I'd get another. Then I discovered Cade and did the same with that. I kind of miss those days.

I started shaving and used one type of shaving soap. I began wet shaving in February of 2014. Now I use a variety of shaving soaps.

Top Bottom