What's new

Tried some Escudo yesterday

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Opened the tin I got that was manufactured on 9-13-13 yesterday. That is a surprisingly smooth smoke. I really like it, but it lacks a little in the vitamin N...from the one bowl that I have smoked of it.

Just a nice, pure "tobacco" blend.

I am warming up to some of the English blends. The Frog Morton original really turned me off to Latakia, but I'm starting to warm up to Squadron Leader. Just now finishing off a bowl of Nightcap...and it's pretty good. I like the leathery taste that the English blends give.

My Irish Oak still seems to be the one that disappears the quickest though.

I have yet to try Escudo but know what you mean about the original FM. After a few bowls of it I also find the amount of Latakia to be a bit much. I have a 3.5 oz tin of it I need to put out for trade once I decide what I would like to trade for. PS English Oriental Surpreme seems to be more to my liking and the bulk price is attractive as well. I will have to check the Escudo and Squadron Leader.

I have had a bowl (two coins) of Escudo and I'm quite impressed. I like the taste, the slow burn and was surprised by the strength. I prefer it to Nightcap which is also very good.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have yet to try Escudo but know what you mean about the original FM. After a few bowls of it I also find the amount of Latakia to be a bit much. I have a 3.5 oz tin of it I need to put out for trade once I decide what I would like to trade for. PS English Oriental Surpreme seems to be more to my liking and the bulk price is attractive as well. I will have to check the Escudo and Squadron Leader.

You could jar it up and put it down for a few years. Latakia will mellow with time. Or, you could pick up some orientals and add a bit and start playing with blending. Sounds like you know what you don't like about it and what you prefer, so it would be pretty straightforward to add some orientals and maybe some VA and mellow out the lat.

You could jar it up and put it down for a few years. Latakia will mellow with time. Or, you could pick up some orientals and add a bit and start playing with blending. Sounds like you know what you don't like about it and what you prefer, so it would be pretty straightforward to add some orientals and maybe some VA and mellow out the lat.

Thank you. I will put it away and try it again in the future.

I have three tins in my cellar. I love the stuff. It is probably one of my favorite Va/Pers! I am told that Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls and Escudo are the same blend, just rebranded.

I have three tins in my cellar. I love the stuff. It is probably one of my favorite Va/Pers! I am told that Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls and Escudo are the same blend, just rebranded.
Slightly different. I find Escudo to be more spicy in the perique department, while the Dunhill blend is slightly sweeter.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are both on my short list of next tobaccos to try!

Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are both on my short list of next tobaccos to try!

Escudo is simply wonderful IMO. Easy to pack any which way and has a great balance of VA and Perique.

DDNR is on my to try list as well.

Top Bottom