What's new

I have tamed "The Beast"

I am not a veteran wet shaver, almost one year total experience. I was very pleased with my first razor, read lots, watched a lot of you tube and worked at my techniques until I got it working great.

Then I started to read about this "Beast", the R41. I looked it up, immediately fell in love with the rose gold handle and ordered one up. It was a thing of beauty, amazing to see, it had to shave like a dream, right?

It was merciless, it cut me (Ok, I cut me) to pieces.

But I had never had a closer shave. So I put it away. Back online, reading, watching, learning.

Two weeks later, took the beast back out of the cupboard and tried it again. Better, but still a lot of nicks and cuts, back into the cupboard. But again, another amazingly close shave.

I could not figure out why this beautiful piece of metal was so hard to tame.

Every week, I'd try it again........

It's been about five months since I started working with the beast. Today was the first day I used it that I was able to say, amazing shave and not one nick, cut or weeper.

My alum block told me that it was not a perfect shave, but it still felt amazing.

I know the issues I faced with the beast were not it's errors, it was my poor techniques that lead to my problems. But the shave was so smooth and so close that there was no way I was giving up on this razor. The words someone wrote on here in a post kept ringing in my head, it's a tool, built by a person to be used by a person.

I am so happy I never gave up on the beast.

Great looking razor, that gives an amazing shave, when you slow down and do it right!

Still not my daily razor yet, but it is my favorite.

Blade angle, by far the biggest technical part.
My Merker is very forgiving with blade angle, it's works great if I hold the handle near or far from my face.

The Beast, it prefers I keep the handle a fair piece away from my face.
The second, is to use short strokes, with no pressure.

I love my Rose Gold Beauty!
She is not my daily shaver as I still feel that if I don't have the time to take it slow and easy with her, she will bite me...
I usually leave it to the weekend. Trouble is that if I shave Saturday morning with her, it is so close that I dont really need to again on Sunday... :tongue_sm

Top Bottom