What's new

Merkur Owners Please Help, I did something silly

Hi members, I need you help. I was cleaning a number of my razors and a 34c HD and a Progress/Mergress ended up together in my barbicide with the base caps off. Now I don't know which one belongs to the proper razor. I'm happy to say there is a #1 stamped on the underside of the cap and a #3 stamped on the other. Could you look at your Progression or 34c HD and let me know the numbers you see, please. Thank you.

Last edited:
Look for the line in the top cap of the Progress. You can see it above the triangle, or in this case to the left of the triangle.

$20140914_205808.jpg

yes perfect crank!!!.....thank you so much and all that replied, maybe its time for a clean just don't do more then one razor at a time in barbicide :lol:

Ohhh, I see...

Not sure if this is sarcasm so I'll elaborate. If you put the cap on backwards, when tightened down, the number might align at 2 (or some other number) initially on its lowest setting. Therefore, if you adjust to the 4 position, you know you're set to an adjustment of 2. So, not crucial, just less math involved if you put the cap on properly.

How did you use the Progress without knowing/seeing the mark on the top cap? I thought it is crucial for proper use of a Progress, or Progression how you call it.

I never did use it, I received 3 razors over the weekend, a mergress, 2011 R41 and a 34c HD, when I got around to opening the boxes they were pulled apart asap and placed in barbacide to disinfect, never even noticed the lines

Not sure if this is sarcasm so I'll elaborate. If you put the cap on backwards, when tightened down, the number might align at 2 (or some other number) initially on its lowest setting. Therefore, if you adjust to the 4 position, you know you're set to an adjustment of 2. So, not crucial, just less math involved if you put the cap on properly.

great information, I'm a new owner of a used mergress without paperwork, i didn't know this....thanks

That raises an interesting concept. Does the 34C cap and Progress cap interchange? Markings apart, are the caps the same geometry?
Could be useful to know if corrosion becomes an issue. I have the 34C, 37C and Progress and the caps look the same. I guess I have a serviceable Merkur for life and beyond.
The two piece handle design is robust so the cap must be the weakest component. Maybe I can get a spare cap from Merkur just to ensure longevity. Lining up for the Progress is relative so not really a problem.

Top Bottom