What's new

Oktoberfest!

Oktoberfest is nearly upon us, and I'm noticing the Oktoberfest beers are starting to hit the stores.

I would love to hear what Oktoberfests everyone is drinking. If it is a small brewery please post where they are based. If its a pretty large one, then no worries. Pictures are always encouraged of course.

Oktoberfests are some of my all-time favorite brews and I'm always sad when they are no longer stocked. Lets all find some great new brews and celebrate the season!

My first entry is shown in the picture. Ninkasi is located in Eugene, Oregon. Es ist ein leckeres Bier!

$Ninkasi-Oktoberfest-Festbier-Lager.png

It's not a beer that I've really explored in the US craft beer scene, but I do enjoy Spaten and Sam Adams Octoberfest. Both are easily obtainable and very tasty.

Any beer tastes good like this :tongue_sm

proxy.php

But I think there is only one real Oktoberfestbeer:

proxy.php

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My wedding anniversary is September 18th. I tried to get my wife to go to Munich for our honeymoon but she wasn't having any of it.

So what is the difference between a standard German Reinheitsgebot lager and an Oktoberfest beer?

I know all about Oktoberfest in Munich buteducate me to the difference in the beer.

Must admit I'm a real ale best bitter drinker!

Gareth

I think there is no real difference, apart from the fact that the beer is brewed in Bayern?

For us here in Europe that may be the case but all the beers they are talking about above are brewed in the USA. Could it just be a selling point over there? Let's call it Oktoberfest and we'll sell a lot more!

Gareth

I'm a big fan of Octoberfest brews as well. I agree that the Shiner Octoberfest is indeed very good, and a little superior to my taste to the Sam Adams version. So if you like SA, search out Shiner and let me know what you think.

I've been to Germany during Octoberfest, and was actually a bit disappointed. The Octoberfest beer there was very light colored, more like a Pils than what we see in the US. So I'm not sure where our recipe came from. But I do know I enjoy it. While I was disappointed with what I had in Germany, it was still a good beer. Just not what I expected at the time.

I've been to Germany during Octoberfest, and was actually a bit disappointed. The Octoberfest beer there was very light colored, more like a Pils than what we see in the US. So I'm not sure where our recipe came from. But I do know I enjoy it. While I was disappointed with what I had in Germany, it was still a good beer. Just not what I expected at the time.

Funny that you should say that, because Oktoberfest = Pilsner.

Maybe the US "Oktoberfest" is a mix between German tradition, Bockbeer-festivals, and the American "Supersizing"?

Funny that you should say that, because Oktoberfest = Pilsner.

Maybe the US "Oktoberfest" is a mix between German tradition, Bockbeer-festivals, and the American "Supersizing"?

Glad to know my tastes were right. :) I'm really not sure where the US Octoberfest comes from. The beers are much more amber/copper colored, and tend to have a pretty neutral profile from hop/malt. I greatly enjoy them, whatever their actual origins may be. I don't believe that our supersizing has anything to do with it, however. :)

Top Bottom