What's new

Yard-kill for Dinner

About a week ago I noticed a puffball growing under my hollytree. It started out about the size of a golf ball. I took this photo (foranother thread about spiders) several days later.
$IMG_0532.jpg

By Friday I’d done a little research about puffballs online.I know, I know, online research isn’t worth the electrons it’s ‘printed’ on.But I cross-referenced it – online – and decided to try yard-kill for dinnerbecause the darned thing had grown so much that it was threatening to block thedriveway in another day.
$IMG_0555.jpg
$IMG_0556.jpg

It was a violent struggle but the fungus succumbed when I wrung its neck. Actually chickens, even bantams put up a bigger fight. Live weight was just over three pounds.

$IMG_0557.jpg
That’s it field dressed and butchered. The gut pile is inthe lower right hand corner. It yielded 2 pounds of steaks, chops, ribs and tenderloin.

Here’s the tenderloins sautéing in butter and olive oilafter being dipped in egg and milk and dredged in flour seasoned with cumin,salt, ground black and white pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Sesame seedswere sprinkled on after the cuts were turned.
Well, we’re still alive and not experiencing hallucinations or out-of-body, metaphysical crises about an hour later. I guess it wasn’t poisonous. The mushroom itself was no big thrill taste-wise. The spices, butterand olive oil predominated so perhaps I need to explore other preps for the rest of it (it’s in the freezer).
Anybody got any good ‘yard-kill’ recipes?

Attachments

• $IMG_0561.jpg
    $IMG_0561.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Wow... you are brave man. But, I must say that darn thing looks pretty tasty. I liked to see what you come up with on your next meal...if there is one.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Good job! You did an awesome job with the field dressing and the cooking.

Be careful, some of that stuff is poisonous. Please do make sure you know exactly what you are eating so that it's not your last meal.

Be careful, some of that stuff is poisonous. Please do make sure you know exactly what you are eating so that it's not your last meal.
I did do a lot of research about the puffball. Back when my wife and I were dating (Nixon was President) her mother cooked up some false puffballs for dinner. She didn't eat any of those so she was available to answer questions for them at the ER. That inspired caution on my part.

Hey, oldbluelight are you there? Hello, are you there? Oh no, I hope it's not like an old Clint Eastwood movie.
Yep, still here. Slept well with no disturbing dreams. I was somewhat disappointed that it only turned out to be a wonderful platform for eating sautéed seasoned flour. No real distinctive flavor from the 'shroom. The texture was like a freshly roasted marshmallow. But what the hell, it was fun and it was free. Of course YFMV (Your Foraging May Vary).

I was watching Naked and Afraid on the Discovery Channel the other day where a guy ate a wild mushroom (poor choice). He had to be seen by medics and I think he had to go home for more recovery. When it comes to mushrooms, I never play those games.

Wow. Interesting. How do you verify it's safety?

Theres a mycology department at Duke that has some info, but really your best bet is to hang out with the local mushroom hunter groups. Theres a Chatham county mushroom club that has a lot of detailed photos. Some of the best around here for food and health are Hen of the Woods and Morels. You need to be aware of where your wild mushrooms are growing however because they are also fantastic at absorbing heavy metals such as mercury.

On a more fun note, this area of NC also has the most deadly mushroom growing all over the place as well - Death Angel is a white topped mushroom that grows pretty tall and can kill you. Most other local mushrooms that are labeled poisonous will make you puke, or hallucinate... or both.

I go picking quiet often with an Ex-hippy friend. You are fine with that puffball I just cook them in a little garlic butter, but as said above you are best to go with experienced pickers that way you are 100 time more likely to stay safe. Get in wrong and best case you are tripping your balls off worse case you are DEAD!

In the UK we have amongst others Amanita phalloides or Deathcap. I looks like another edible mushroom but with white gills you only have to eat two and it will destroy your liver it has a 70% mortality rate.

Wow. Interesting. How do you verify it's safety?

I checked a number of reputable, and some not-so-necessarily-reputable sources online including scholarly sources. This particular mushroom is almost unmistakable once it's grown to this size, about as big as a soccer ball, and the white interior without any differentiations confirms it as a giant puffball. There is one deadly mushroom that sometimes appears externally similar to a very small puffball but cutting it open reveals the outline of a stem and cap in the interior. That one will kill you. So a large puffball, sliced open along the midline can be positively identified by examining the interior flesh. There is one puffball that is dangerous, the pigskin puffball, with a brown mottled exterior that looks like pigskin, think football, and a dark purplish interior. It's a no-no and it's the one my wife's mother cooked up one evening that led to a trip to the emergency room for mom and dad. My wife didn't eat any and they were giving her hard time about that until they got sick and she had to drive them to the ER.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was watching Naked and Afraid on the Discovery Channel the other day where a guy ate a wild mushroom (poor choice). He had to be seen by medics and I think he had to go home for more recovery. When it comes to mushrooms, I never play those games.
That, along with not being able to stand mushrooms, is why I will never have a problem.

I always wonder how many cavemen were lost to poisonous mushrooms via trial and error before they figured out what was safe to eat.

Top Bottom