What's new

Razor blade test. Personna Red vs. Astra SP

As you say YMMV, my math is Reds get 3 or 4 while Astra get 6 to 10. I just don't find reds to have the smoothness beyond a few shaves.
That is because your face is different than mine. Personna blades are cheaper, and better, per shave for me.

YMMV as with all blades but for me i have concluded that the Personna Reds are much smother and longer lasting, more so than the Astra's.

What is the cost in Europe? Here Astra are about 2 to 3 cents per blade cheaper.
Not sure. I still have something like 200 Personnas left, I guess.

Connaught sells 100 Personna Platinum Chrome blades for €12. Not sure if that is the best price.

But given six shaves per blade, that comes down to €0, 02 per shave. I can afford that, I think :wink2:

My face does not like Astra's. And after finally getting around to giving the Personna a go, my first test was 6 comfortable shaves, with a 7th being a little harder to pull off but still not irritatingly uncomfortable. So, for me now I'll use them at 5 shaves a blade, which is higher than my usual 2 with most and 3 with some, thus making it the best 'bang' for my buck now. :thumbup1:

Where does everyone get their Reds from? After months of samplers the Reds have risen to the top as the best blade for me and I am close (after the GroM - September) to ordering some in bulk. Canadian or cheap shipping to Canada is best for me

West Coast Shaving, eBay, and Amazon all sell the REDS.

Shipping to Canada can get expensive, fast :thumbdown

I think I will be set on blades. I have > 200 Reds along with 200 Astra SP on the way.

I am willing to trade a few of my REDS (5-10 unboxed) for someone in CONUS that might want to try a few, just PM me. I can always use Feather, any Gillette blade, Permasharp, and Sputnik

Just don't offer me any Derby, Shark, Dorco, Voskhod, Rapira, Treet, or Personna Blue blades (have enough of them)

Where does everyone get their Reds from? After months of samplers the Reds have risen to the top as the best blade for me and I am close (after the GroM - September) to ordering some in bulk. Canadian or cheap shipping to Canada is best for me

Italian Barber sells the Platinum in the white package that are supposed to be the same as the UK red packs. Some have posted that they are different but the funny thing is they never seem to answer when you asked them what the difference is so until someone actually bothers telling me what the difference is I will choice to ignore them. The company states they are the same so I would say they are and you can order them from Italian Barber.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Personna Red IP and Astra SP, hooked up and had a baby who got the best of both their traits. They named the baby Polsilver Super Iridium.

Italian Barber sells the Platinum in the white package that are supposed to be the same as the UK red packs. Some have posted that they are different but the funny thing is they never seem to answer when you asked them what the difference is so until someone actually bothers telling me what the difference is I will choice to ignore them. The company states they are the same so I would say they are and you can order them from Italian Barber.

That makes life easier to order there for shipping costs. I should try a 5-pack before dropping an order for 1 or 200

I actually prefer the Reds over the Polsilvers. Smoother shave for me.

+1. I've used Polisilvers for the first time the past two days in my 37c. To me, they feel the way many describe Feathers. They cut through my coarse stubble like butter, and feel smooth as silk while shaving, but I feel the razor burn set in right after the pass. Still need to give them a go in my NEW and my Fatboy to see if they work better there.

I prefer the Personna Reds or the similar Vikings Sword blades. It seems I have some skin issue with Astra SP, it doesn't agree with my face.

Top Bottom