What's new

Preferred whisky glass?

Here is my cabinet and my glassware.
View attachment 496228

These are my two favorite glasses for drinking scotch. I'm not sure what the style is of the Glenlivet glass. It's like a Glencairn without the base. (Any help?) but it is a much sturdier glass so I use it more often. I always feel like the Glencairn glasses are going to shatter in my hands because they are much thinner.
View attachment 496232
See my post glencairn canadian whiskey glass

Amazon has them as Glencairn canadian too. So I ordered 4.

And a set of Glencairns to be in the safe side :)

I truly love the glencairn glass. It is amazing how varied the concentrated aromas are. You totally miss them, at least I do, in a traditional rocks glass. Really worth the money if you're drinking good booze.

A small wine glass is great in a pinch too.

proxy.php

This one, of course!

This one might be second... :blush:

proxy.php

Depends on the quality of the booze.
Where did you get the second one?

I have the glencairn whisky glass but thats usually for the more expensive bottle. Otherwise I drink my whisky ice ball, so normal whisky would add suffice.

the Glencairn glass is nice, and eminently quite usable. FWIW, it's also the glass used by nearly all Scottish distilleries when they pour for visitors.

That said, I prefer the Riedel glass. I find that the Riedel glass plays-down the alcohol on the Nose, which I appreciate.

Tumblers, or anything of the sort, should not even be considered.

Insta-collection
This pic makes the Glencairns look similar in size to the Canadians, but they are much narrower.

$uploadfromtaptalk1411417785497.jpg

I like the "Canadian" style as above, I also have a few "cut glass" ones I have gotten with gift packs, basically a rocks or double rocks or lowball depending on what you want to call it I like. doesnt have to be crystal...I dont mind the other Glencain's for initial "tastings" but not for everyday sipping. and no snifters for my whisky....

my only picky thing is I dont like the glass to be "thick" especially at the rim...doesnt have to be delicately thin mind you, just not thick like some you may get at the local dive bar...(or even some nicer joints with bad glass...."

I've both the Riedel and the Glencairn glasses. Both are very nice and open up the whisky, but I find that I use the Glencairn glasses more. The Glencairn glasses feel more substantial in the hand than the Riedels. Not bulky, just firm in the hand.

The Riedels feel delicate and fragile. I just worry about busting them while washing.

... I can get to a full 50-degrees-falling-asleep-tilt before spilling anything out of a Glencairn glass, too.

Ha! Same here...shall I be a light weight?

The flat-bottomed glencairn is generally my choice. I hadn't heard them called "Glencairn Canadian" before, but then I don't suppose I've heard much of any name for them other than "whiskey glass".

The glasses got their first workout Saturday.

Three of us opted for the Glencairns, one for the Canadian as he liked ice.
Discovered I need a slightly smaller nose, but the funneling of the aromas worked perfectly.

Dalwhinnie 15, Chivas Regal, JW Expedition, Glenfiddish Special Reserve.
The latter three all paled in comparison to the first.

Top Bottom