What's new

Got a Kitten!

Just confirmed that we'll be getting a kitten come October.

So everyone knows, I'm allergic to pretty much everything living on earth (even penicillin); this includes cats. SHMBO grew up with cats and pretty much from when I started dating her, I've been trying to find a hypo-allergenic cat to appease that hole in her life. In my research I came across the Siberian cat breed.

These cats produce less of the protein (Fel D-1) that triggers most people's cat allergies. When the cats lick themselves the saliva coats the hair, dries, and then is so tiny it floats around in the air for months. Because they produce less of the protein, there is less of the dander floating around. If you have severe late trigger antibodies (IgE) these cat's likely won't work for you. Fortunately we live close enough that we were able to visit and take a class at the breeder's place. I was there for four-five hours, petting the cats and breathing the air in a Breeder's House, I did not sneeze once, my eyes were clear, and at the end of the day all I got was a single small red bump on my arm, which I think is from a nail scratching me slightly.

Anyways, I just wanted to spread awareness of the breed for any potential allergic cat people out there and also to show off this goofball. Picking him up in October (good thing I'm not on a cat sabbatical). Should get to be about 20-25 pounds and have the disposition of a dog.

$Kayla%20Suntan%20Kitten%202014.jpg

I'm not a cat person, but congrats on finding something that works for you and your wife. Great idea to share the discovery here.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
GF had Siamese growing up, she said they were mischievous little aholes that she couldn't help but love.
That is why i love cats

Hey PF, I am happy for you. If it weren't for three grandchildren at home and a wife with a bum leg, I would get myself a cat tomorrow.

Good for you. My son really wants a cat. We figure it will turn into a light snack for the 130lb rotty mix.

Anyone have an idea of how to introduce a kitty? One adopted me while I was in college but got attacked by the same dogs she lived with, and slept with, for 6 years.

I had a friend with a (well trained but) very large and playful Rot. My cat used to back him up into the corner and the poor dog would whine till we "rescued" him.

Most times dogs and cats get on just fine, it's the influence of people that make it bad. I think one cat plus one dog is good. Dogs in pairs or small groups exhibit pack mentality sometimes that could account for your experience.

Here's my buddy, follows me everywhere in the house:

$photo (1).jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I read the title as "Got a kitchen!" and was thinking of a kitchen remodel.
Then opened the thread and was so confused when I saw a picture of a kitten. :blink:

Congrats on the KITTEN! good info on the breed too.
Cats are awesome in my book

Good for you. My son really wants a cat. We figure it will turn into a light snack for the 130lb rotty mix.

Anyone have an idea of how to introduce a kitty? One adopted me while I was in college but got attacked by the same dogs she lived with, and slept with, for 6 years.

Her grandma has a 100+ female Doberman and a tiny (10 lbs....if that) Himalayan cat. They get along just fine. Like LBussy said, the animals will work it out amongst themselves, people usually screw up the system.

I read the title as "Got a kitchen!" and was thinking of a kitchen remodel.
Then opened the thread and was so confused when I saw a picture of a kitten. :blink:

Congrats on the KITTEN! good info on the breed too.
Cats are awesome in my book

You might see that thread in a couple years. :tongue_sm

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've had 5 cats over the last 30 years. Down to one now, and he's old. They will worm their way into your heart so be careful. Cute little kitten, he looks like he could be called "Jake."

Get two of them. In my experience kittens like to play rough but dont realize their own strength. As a kitten they are easy to handle, but once they grow up into an aggressive 15# cat then it gets very difficult.
With two cats they take the aggressiveness out on each other and become very mild mannered.

My first kitten we got I was only going to watch over Columbus day weekend. That was in 2010 and we still have her. She fetches, opens cabinets (we had to put child locks on them, except the child takes the locks off) and is a little too smart for her own good.

I love cats! I have a soft spot for cats. At one point I had 4 cats so you could say that I love cats very much. I'm an equal cat & dog lover as well. If I had a house with a doggy door I'd have as least one dog. They are smart in a different way than a cat is smart.

Good looking cat. I didn't know some cats are different when it comes to allergies. That's good to know in case I ever want to get one.

I always liked cats but if I'm in a house with one for more than several hours, severe asthma is the result. I'm tempted to try my luck with this breed, though!

Top Bottom