What's new

Proraso Green or TOBS Avocado

So I've yet to try the proraso but I'm tempted to buy some because of all the love it gets on here. The TOBS avocado is the best I've tried (the others being sandalwood and grapefruit) from their line. Between the two, which produces better lather and which is slicker?

I agree that TOBS avocado has better lather and slickness.
but it's also more expensive.
proraso green has menthol which TOBS does not.
proraso is no slouch by any measure and will give an excellent shave.
You should at least get samples or small tubes of each.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 141

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
With the previous version of Proraso Green I would have said Taylors Avocado, but the new reformulated Proraso has an improved performance for better lather and more skin care. My vote goes to the Italian barbershop cream.

Proraso Green is pretty underrated. It's hard to go wrong with it, and it's cheap enough that there's little risk in trying it. TOBS may be slightly slicker, but its ingredients aren't as friendly.

Ingredient analysis
Proraso Green
TOBS Avocado

Both are excellent and have different merits. If I absolutely could only choose one, it would be the Proraso. . . by a whisker.

I've done both and would take the Proraso hands down. The Avocado smelled like rotting vegetation to me. If you're in the US, you can pick up a tube of CE Bigelow at Bath & Body - it is rebranded Proraso.

I like Proraso green and the C.O. Bigelow version but I have a problem with my Taylor avocado. It became too warm during shipment and was thin and runny when it arrived. I placed it in the refrigerator for a few days, stirring it every so often, and it got thicker so I thought I was home free. I then took it out and waited for it to regain room temperature and I have potato soup again. It still lathers OK, but obviously, I had a bad experience with it.

p.s. The Mr. Taylor came in the same box but it seems fine.

I fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) live near a store that has a huge stock of DE shaving supplies. I bought the proraso green and tried it out this morning. On my first shave, I'd have to say proraso green wins. It smells really nice, gave me an amazing shave, and not even a sight of any blood (first time that's happened for me). Gonna stick with proraso for the next few shaves and if it keeps it up, I'll be selling my TOBS creams.

I know the proraso old formula and CO bigelow old formula were a little different with the ingredients. Are the new formula's also different or are they exactly the same?

The TOBS avocado should not be soupy in any way. Between the TOBS creams I've tried and the others i've looked at in store, it is one of the ones with the more solid consistency.

I know the proraso old formula and CO bigelow old formula were a little different with the ingredients. Are the new formula's also different or are they exactly the same?

My new ones seem a little different but I've never compared ingredients.

The TOBS avocado should not be soupy in any way. Between the TOBS creams I've tried and the others i've looked at in store, it is one of the ones with the more solid consistency.

Good to know, thanks.

My new ones seem a little different but I've never compared ingredients.

I'll stick with the proraso then. The prices aren't that different. Best shave I've had since I started this a month ago. I don't know if it's improvement in technique, or proraso or whatever else, but all i'm looking for is how to get a great shave and stick with that formula. I hope I don't get sucked into this by trying so many different razors/creams/soaps. I want to find the best razor, best blade, and best pre-shave/shaving cream/after shave that works for me and stick with that for a long time.

. . . I want to find the best razor, best blade, and best pre-shave/shaving cream/after shave that works for me . . .

We all have started The Journey of a Thousand - a thousand soaps, a thousand creams, a thousand aftershaves, a thousand razors, a thousand blades . . .

. . . and stick with that for a long time.

Good luck with this also. Temptation lies around every bend and in every dark corner. It lurks in malls and on websites. It seduces, promising reward without consequence. The first one is free. . .

I would give the TOBS a slight advantage.

They are both excellent products, with very different scents.

Best to try both for yourself.

So I've yet to try the proraso but I'm tempted to buy some because of all the love it gets on here. The TOBS avocado is the best I've tried (the others being sandalwood and grapefruit) from their line. Between the two, which produces better lather and which is slicker?

So you've already tried 3 varieties of TOBS but have never used a single variety of Proraso? Go for it! Pick up whichever one strikes your fancy. The green is great for me in hot and humid India and the blue has a fantastic scent. Those would be my recommendations. As far as better slicker lather, I find those variables are entirely user related.

Top Bottom