What's new

Had Turtle for the First Time

Recently my wife and I visited her brother. On the menu was turtle - something I never had before. It was browned first and then put in the oven with some beer to bake at a low temperature for a while. Man, it was delicious.

We tried fishing in a farm pond but it was so windy and the water was so muddy from the rain that we did not catch many fish.

Is there a way you can hide this thread from Mick? If so, probably wouldn't be a bad idea. :lol:

Seriously, I wasn't aware turtles were edible. Thanks for sharing!

I've never eaten turtle either ( the reptile, not Mick :blink::tongue_sm )

What did it taste like?

Let me guess......chicken? :001_tt2:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have had turtle before, but it was in a soup that the locals call burgoo. It had chicken, mutton, pork and beef in it also, so I really could not taste the turtle.

$BBQ-Fest-Checking-Burgoo-A3--214x300.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had a bunch of different foods in Taiwan, including sparrow, turtle and bear. Too bad I was too young to remember :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Had some several years ago at the restaurant next to the turtle farm on Grand Cayman. It was surprisingly good!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is there a way you can hide this thread from Mick? If so, probably wouldn't be a bad idea. :lol:

Seriously, I wasn't aware turtles were edible. Thanks for sharing!

When I read the title, the first thing that popped into my head was the Twilight episode "To Serve Man"

When I was in college (about 30 years ago), I studied abroad in Mexico and traveled around the country a bit. I ended up in Isla Mujeres, an island down near Cancun, where there were a few sea turtle farms nearby. They had turtle steak and turtle soup on the menus at all the restaurants in town. I tried both and they were pretty good - the turtle steak tasted a bit like very lean beef. I have never tasted fresh water turtle, but they sell live snappers in some of the specialty food stores in Chinatown here in NYC - they look really nasty - not cute at all.

I myself keep two turtles (red eared sliders) in a 20-gallon long tank in my apartment - to look at, not for consumption.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When I was in college (about 30 years ago), I studied abroad in Mexico and traveled around the country a bit. I ended up in Isla Mujeres, an island down near Cancun, where there were a few sea turtle farms nearby. They had turtle steak and turtle soup on the menus at all the restaurants in town. I tried both and they were pretty good - the turtle steak tasted a bit like very lean beef. I have never tasted fresh water turtle, but they sell live snappers in some of the specialty food stores in Chinatown here in NYC - they look really nasty - not cute at all.

I myself keep two turtles (red eared sliders) in a 20-gallon long tank in my apartment - to look at, not for consumption.

Are they named Cuff and Link? :001_smile

We eat snapping turtle and softshell here in NC quite often. My grandfather would make it in either a milk base like clam chowder, or a tomato base with vegetables in it. Very good stuff. I will say, that if you have a weak, squeamish stomach, don't even try cleaning one. It's the nastiest, stinkiest stuff you'll encounter cleaning an animal. I thought a gut shot deer or hog was bad, but....not even close to an old snapper. YAKKK!!!!

Top Bottom