What's new

Some of Grandpa's shaving gear

After making a brush, I was talking with my Dad and he said that he had some of Grandpa's shaving gear. While I was over at his place I asked him to show me what he has. It would seem that Grandpa was a Gillette man as all of these razors have the Gillette stamp on them. Not sure if any of this is/was worth anything, but it was cool to see his DE razors, mug and brush and so I thought I would share them here.

Blade and case. The handle seems to be kind of a bronze color as well as the top also. Not sure if that's the color it was to begin with or if its turned that color for some reason.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

An adjustable 1-9
proxy.php

Another blade:
proxy.php

Replacement blades:
proxy.php

His mug (no stamp or makers mark on the bottom)
proxy.php

And his brush:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Some day they'll be mine. :001_smile

Very nice and congratulations on finding family heirlooms! I have my maternal grandfather's flare tip that I tried out. Never got a comfortable shave so it went into a shadow box with his picture and his pipe.

Some great family history there. I take it that your father doesn't use them at all? Shame in some ways

Nice. What are your plans for them? I see you wrote, "someday they'll be mine". I take it your dad has them now? If so, you might refurbish them as a present for him.

Last edited:
Great stuff and you should be proud. I asked about my Grandpa's gear after he had passed and my Grandmother had already disposed of it. She didn't think anyone would be interested in having it. I am fortunate enough to have his wedding band which I wear on a chain around my neck.

Your Dad has great taste in shaving equipment.
1930's New Long Comb
1940's or '50's Superspeed
1960's Slim adjustable
"these are a few of my favorite things"... where is Julie Andrews when you need her?

+1 for this post. I love those old floral mugs. Razor ID is in post #10 for you. The brush is an EverReady.

When you get ahold of those, they will clean up like almost new and give you years of great shaves.

Congrats!

These are my favorite kinds of threads!

I also enjoy these threads as they bring back good memories. Its great that your Dad kept these and at some point you will find they are all shave worthy. That NEW will clean up very well when the time comes. Lastly, that brush is exactly like the one I found with my Dad's shaving stuff. I plan on cleaning it up and having a new knot put on it. Thanks for sharing the pics and memories with us.

Some great family history there. I take it that your father doesn't use them at all? Shame in some ways

No, he doesn't use them. He does shave with a razor but just with whatever store-bought razors that he buys.

Nice. What are your plans for them? I see you wrote, "someday they'll be mine". I take it your dad has them now? If so, you might refurbish them as a present for him.

After I had asked him to show me them he said that I was welcome to have them after he's gone. That's good enough for me - I'd rather have him here than have the razors (as I'm sure we all feel the same way about our parents). He's only 71 so I'm hoping he has another 20+ years in him. We just lost my mother unexpectedly back in June, so... yeah, I'll be glad to have him around for a long time. I might talk him out of one of them to try out though. :001_smile

Your Dad has great taste in shaving equipment.
1930's New Long Comb
1940's or '50's Superspeed
1960's Slim adjustable
"these are a few of my favorite things"... where is Julie Andrews when you need her?

Very cool - thank you. It was all of my late grandfathers stuff. There was a straight razor as well, but I guess one of Dads brothers got it. Is there anything on them specifically that I could note that would tell me for sure what they are, exactly? And which is which? Obviously the last one you listed is the adjustable, but out of the other two, which is which?

Thanks again for all the comments, guys.

Oh, and I just got back from the family reunion that I made the shaving brushes for. I only took the boar brushes and kept the badger brushes (one for me and one for Dad for Christmas), and they sold for $20 and $15. Not a lot, but considering I only had $9 in each of them, for the price of the brush, not a bad return. I made 11 items for the reunions auction (it's how we pay for the reunion the next year), 10 of which had something to do with elk antler and made $174.50 for the reunion fund. Not bad. :biggrin1:

The first one (brass) is the New Long Comb. The second is the Slim. The last is the Super Speed. You should be able to find date codes on the Slim and SS but not the New.
My family does the same thing for our reunion. I usually take a couple of wood bowls that I've turned and am the auctioneer.

Very nice stuff! My grandpa is still around and kicking, but he uses a Trac 2 and barbasol. Same trac stick as long as I can remember Not much of a heirloom, but I have other things to remember him! I've tried to convert him to DE, but he won't have it!

Top Bottom