What's new

First Shave With Merkur 37c Slant

Hey guys, with all this stealth slant talk I could not wait for one so I ordered a 37c. I had a hot shower this morning, put a brand new Voskhod blade in, and whipped up some Mike's Barbershop. Then it went downhill.....fast. It was the roughest shave I have had since my first week starting a couple of years ago. I completely destroyed my neck! I've read great things about these razors, so I'm not giving up on it. I've also read that some guys have great first shaves with these, so I guess my technique is lacking. I'm definitely going to have to wait a few days to heal up from this one.

Hey guys, with all this stealth slant talk I could not wait for one so I ordered a 37c. I had a hot shower this morning, put a brand new Voskhod blade in, and whipped up some Mike's Barbershop. Then it went downhill.....fast. It was the roughest shave I have had since my first week starting a couple of years ago. I completely destroyed my neck! I've read great things about these razors, so I'm not giving up on it. I've also read that some guys have great first shaves with these, so I guess my technique is lacking. I'm definitely going to have to wait a few days to heal up from this one.
This was my experience with the 37c also. Inefficient whisker reduction, razorburn on the neck. With Feathers, Voskhods, GSBs, 7O'Clock Blacks... the person I bought it from had the same issues, which was why he sold it to me. I traded it for an R41, and the new owner (who loved his 39c already) loved it. I found the R41 caused some irritation at first, too, but it was useful to learn because at least it shaved whiskers well! My mileage varies, I guess. Maybe yours, too. (I also want to try the RR Stealth just to see if I get along with it better!)

Last edited:
You've got to watch the pressure but you can get a great shave with a 37c. And for me the sharper the blade, the better in a slant. I figured the slant's slicing action would make a less sharp but smooth blade like Voskhod work great. But for me it just wasn't the case.

I tried the supplied Merkur blade in my 37c Slant, and it was a truly terrifying experience. Lots of tugging, scraping and thankfully, only one small nick at the end of the ordeal. I wanted to like this razor, and I'm hoping I still will. I've put an Astra SP blade in there, ready for my next go-round with this razor, and maybe that'll 'take the edge off', so to speak !!

I tried the supplied Merkur blade in my 37c Slant, and it was a truly terrifying experience. Lots of tugging, scraping and thankfully, only one small nick at the end of the ordeal. I wanted to like this razor, and I'm hoping I still will. I've put an Astra SP blade in there, ready for my next go-round with this razor, and maybe that'll 'take the edge off', so to speak !!

Definitely give the Astra SP a go in your slant. I believe it will improve the shave substantially. Merkur blades are not very friendly, IMO.

Did you by chance not have the blade aligned properly? The blade needs to be parallel to the cap, not the guard. Aligning with the guard can lead to uneven blade exposure, and a rough shave.

Definitely give the Astra SP a go in your slant. I believe it will improve the shave substantially. Merkur blades are not very friendly, IMO.

I didn't tear myself up or anything, but I didn't really like the Voskhods in mine either. Try the Astra SP. I've also had great results with Personna Reds and Perma-Sharps.

Did you by chance not have the blade aligned properly? The blade needs to be parallel to the cap, not the guard. Aligning with the guard can lead to uneven blade exposure, and a rough shave.

It's aligned property, I'm glad you said something because I didn't check before. I hope I just had bad technique because it was a shaving nightmare. I could feel it tugging and pulling like no other razor I have. 24 hours later im still extremely sore on my neck....

will be interesting to see how things progress for you. maybe it was a one time anomaly -- i had some kind of mental lapse a couple of weeks ago and did a real number on my neck with an EJ89, which is a first.

i have always been curious about the slant. about 5 years ago i called up to order one and the vendor talked me out of it.

I've found a slant to give as close a shave as my Gillette News, but with less chance of irritation or weepers. I use a Personna lab, Feather or SuperMax Super Platinum. Use a sharp blade with no pressure.

Has anybody tried Personna Lab Blues in Merkur 37C ? I have heard that they are pretty sharp and equally smooth on your skin. Just wanted to confirm before I buy them.

Has anybody tried Personna Lab Blues in Merkur 37C ? I have heard that they are pretty sharp and equally smooth on your skin. Just wanted to confirm before I buy them.

I wasn't crazy about them in my 37c. I would recommend picking up a small amount to try before committing to a bulk buy. www.tryablade.com is a good place to pick up samples.

I've found a slant to give as close a shave as my Gillette News, but with less chance of irritation or weepers...

My top two razors right now are the 37c and a US LC NEW. I find the NEW to be slightly more comfortable, and the slant to be slightly closer.

Top Bottom