What's new

Modern Brass?

I am not sure about which modern are all brass, but I know that vintage rocks. Classic Gillettes, Gems, and Schicks are all I own. Get your friends hooked on the classics.

I'm just now learning about the Zamak vs SS vs Brass aspect of razor

I recommend taking the zamak bashing with a grain of salt. Compared to brass and ss it may be inferior but that does not mean it's as evil as some make it out to be. There are many stories of people having one zamak razor for over a decade without issues. I think the hobby side of shaving has taken it's toll on zamak. People babying their razors by taking them apart after every shave instead of every blade change accelerating the wear on the threads significantly. This is a treatment that some stainless steel razors seem to favour otherwise the blade could stain the razor.

Even though I favour plated brass, this does not make me fear zamak.

That's a good (and simple) observation. Multiply the disassembly by 3-4, and the threads take 3-4 times the abuse, and your razor could break 3-4 times quicker (emphasis on "could")... Ironically, due to the fact that you continuously "maintained" it.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The Micro Touch One pitched by Rick Harrison of Pawnstars claims to be chrome plated solid brass as does the new VDH. They seem to be a rebranded 9306 Weishi razor which makes the same claim. Not all Weishi razor models are solid brass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom