What's new

Be careful! Safety gear highly recommended.

I had a Gold Dollar that had a crack near the tip. I already had put a nice forced patina on it (I like a nice patina), and was nearly done making it into a shorty when the dremel grabbed and tore the razor nearly in two, lengthwise.
I was wearing safety gear, and I recommend you do too. The only thing that went flying was a piece of the cutting disk, and the razor had a factory dull edge that had been further dulled, but would still be more than capable of inflicting some serious damage, especially if flung at high speed.
I will proceed with more caution in the future, and am lucky that the only losses were a cheap blade (I think the steel may have been suspect in this one) and an inexpensive dremel cutting disk.
$20140909_202530.jpg$20140909_202518.jpg

carry on, good sirs.

Last edited:
I was using a air die grinder to cut the excess bolt projections from casters on a welding table I built. The abrasive blade shattered at the end of a cut. The cut off bolt and the blade fragments hit my saftey glasses so hard that they knocked them off my face and broke the left lens of the polycarbon glasses. No doubt in my mind that I would have been permanently disabled, if not killed without the glasses. Only injury was small cuts & bruises where the edges of the glasses got smashed into my face on impact. Wear the gear!

Glad your okay!

I managed a Lightning Protection Systems manufacturing warehouse for 10 years. Some of the guys would get bent out of shape about how I would get on their case when I saw them working without safety glasses. I've had too many close calls even with protection.

Good thing no one was hurt. Please folks, don'try to cut through thick/hardened metal with a dremel. The cutting disks simply are not made for it, no matter what they advertise. Trust me, pulling out a piece of one of those disks from your arm is not pleasant.

As for safety gear no doubt. In fact a pair of leather gloves is not a bad idea. Eye protection is a must. I had a hot .223 catridge bounce off my glasses in a 3-gun match once. It would have hit me dead in the eye. Made a believer out of me that day.

I was using a air die grinder to cut the excess bolt projections from casters on a welding table I built. The abrasive blade shattered at the end of a cut. The cut off bolt and the blade fragments hit my saftey glasses so hard that they knocked them off my face and broke the left lens of the polycarbon glasses. No doubt in my mind that I would have been permanently disabled, if not killed without the glasses. Only injury was small cuts & bruises where the edges of the glasses got smashed into my face on impact. Wear the gear!

Protective eyewear is always a good idea (eyes are like delicate little jelly balls) but I found out using an angle grinder that leather gloves and boots are a good idea too. Cutting some iron pipe with a little handheld angle grinder when it bound up and flipped out of my hands (had a secure two-hand grip and still pulled a muscle when it happened). It did a 360 in the air and came down on the top of my foot. I lifted my leg to see and my foot flopped down limply, giving me a nice view of the tendons in my foot before the artery I nicked started spraying blood. I'm a lot more of a pansy around cutting tools and rotating machinery these days! Polishing a razor on a slow buffing wheel even gives me pause...

Last edited:
That is a solid reminder. Glad you didn't get hurt.

swurster: That is a crazy cut. You could probably edit your post and surround the picture with the tags since its quite graphic.

[ SPOILER ]

[ /SPOILER ]

That is a solid reminder. Glad you didn't get hurt.

swurster: That is a crazy cut. You could probably edit your post and surround the picture with the tags since its quite graphic.

agreed - pic removed. not everyone shares my morbid curiosity for trauma. I only meant to underscore the point.

Last edited:
I worked in a lvl 1 surgical trauma hospital. I think one of the best dumbest cases I was in on was a guy that removed 8 fingers with a push lawn mower. For some reason he thought he could trim his hedges with it. So he bent over and picked it up. Grabbing it by the deck and wrapping 4 fingers from each hand under it for a solid grip. Got to give him credit for figuring out how to keep it running with some redneck engineering and duct tape. We couldn't save his fingers nor reattach them. They were well mulched by the mower. Guess you can say hes all thumbs now.

Yep, here's your sign!!!!
This must be a popular solution for hedge trimming. I heard a similar story from a co worker about a call he had to go on. Same basic concept, except it was a guy and has neighbor lifting together. Lost 14 fingers between the two of them, the medics only recovered 9.

As for safety gear, this is an excellent reminder and I'm really glad you weren't injured. It only takes a couple of seconds to put on some simple items that can save you a lifetime of pain.

Amen always wear your safety equipment. As Norm said there is no better safety equipment
than Safety Glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom