What's new

Restoration question

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Thant is a very good idea I'll get something to scale it, thanks. Do you have some pics from the guns?

mine are long gone and no pictures but they were in a shadow box in a clock pattern on black velvet.

Legion

Staff member
I'm not sure that is a razor, though it could be. More likely it is a blade from a "penny knife", a simple peasants folding knife with a slip joint, and that tail on the back is to hold the knife open with your thumb.

Age is pretty hard to tell without provenance of where it was excavated, but that style of knife has been used for over 2000 years. It could easily be Byzantine, if the PH in the dirt was right, and a lot of Europe has pretty alkaline soil, which is why so much of this stuff survives to find it's way to ebay.

Send it to Mycarver. He'll get it looking like new.

I'm not sure that is a razor, though it could be. More likely it is a blade from a "penny knife", a simple peasants folding knife with a slip joint, and that tail on the back is to hold the knife open with your thumb.

Age is pretty hard to tell without provenance of where it was excavated, but that style of knife has been used for over 2000 years. It could easily be Byzantine, if the PH in the dirt was right, and a lot of Europe has pretty alkaline soil, which is why so much of this stuff survives to find it's way to ebay.

Send it to Mycarver. He'll get it looking like new.

There is a of Roman - German museum here, when I get some time I will go there and see if they can help me ID it. According to the seller the item was found in Drazhevo (Macedonia), near the borders to Greece and Bulgaria.

Right after that I will send it to Mycarver for restoration :w00t:

Jejeje didn't think anybody would take it seriously :blushing:

Its supposedly a late Byzantine Roman Soldier razor, I bid on it and got it for 1£ Since I have no other history behind it, I thought the best way of showing it was to ask a couple of silly restoration questions :blushing:

Next time I will add a winky face in the post.

thanks to all that responded, but rest assure I will not try to restore it, most probably will frame it and put it on my den (once I get one).

Thanks again :biggrin1:

Well, I'd still be curious to see what is under that rust.

Top Bottom