What's new

Cursive styles with flair

Hi all, I want to improve my cursive script but all the practice sheets I'm coming across are what I'd call.... dumbed down, for modern times.

I'm looking for some practice sheets for cursive that's a few decades back where loops and connection were a little more pronounced. Not crazy flamboyant, just a touch more stylish.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Rob

Well, here's the old school style that is used in Denmark ;-)

$DK writing.jpg

I believe you can buy the Spencerian Writing Manual and associated practice books from Amazon. Have actually been contemplating them for my children since many schools no longer teach cursive and my children, on their own, have said that they want to learn it.

What did you find there that you liked Robster?

Mind sharing the link?

I've looked over there and while there are beautiful fonts none of it looks practical for everyday. My penmanship is something that I am really trying to work on.

The delay in response is because it's like a rabbits warren. The more I read and the more I like, the more I like. How to choose?! :) I started this thread as I wanted more ornate but I keep admiring the functionality of the business script. Choices choices. :)

I picked and chose certain letters and majuscules that I liked or fit with my writing style and added them to Palmer method.

So I just started to reteach myself cursive a week or so ago when I bought my first FP ... my ink from Goulet comes in Wednesday so I have been practicing using my Pilot G2 .38. I have been trying to do 2-3 writing sessions a day one of which I do a full page of "rambling" to fill the page the other times during the day I pick some words or letters I have bee having trouble with and write them over and over.

In just the past week I have seen a noticeable improvement in my writing. I have been doing Google searches for handwriting samples and adding in the looks of specific letters that I like then trying to see if my hand likes writing them. A few I have rejected others seem to flow naturally for me.

I'm not sure if this is a good method or not but its what I have been doing. Cant wait to ink up my first FP Wednesday after work and give it a test run.

The style I really like so far is where the tall letters like "l", "h", "d", etc go all the way to the top of the space and letters like "p", "g", "y" go far down below the like into the next line below, while other letters like "a", "e", "o", etc go up about 1/3 of the way giving my writing a very tall look. I right on a slight slant with the letters leaning to the right.

Here is a sample of some of my doodling today at work. (was practicing O to R transitions, as well as different kinds of H's and Y's)

$hfhcEGH.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you mine was pretty bad when i started practicing again. I have written for the last 15-20 years in print only so was a pretty big change.

Looking good, and I also google searched samples of writing and emulated what I liked. No shame in that, lol. Keep practicing and before you know it, you'll be good to go. The key for me was to really slow down and think about the transitions from one letter to the next and then one day, I just noticed that the speed had returned. Good luck and keep at it :)

Top Bottom