What's new

Phoenix, AZ area shave shopping B&M

OK... so, it was 16 miles from my house. So much for Google Maps. It turned out to be a great 32 mile bicycle ride, as I returned with a very nice ST-24 Penworks brush! Brushes, brush holders, scuttles, soaps, creams, etc. Great showroom, very nice displays, very helpful staff!

I also ventured into... The Pen Room. WOW!!! If you live anywhere in or near Phoenix, I highly suggest making a visit to Penworks!

http://www.penworks.us//

Ciao!
Bruce

OK... so, it was 16 miles from my house. So much for Google Maps. It turned out to be a great 32 mile bicycle ride, as I returned with a very nice ST-24 Penworks brush! Brushes, brush holders, scuttles, soaps, creams, etc. Great showroom, very nice displays, very helpful staff!

I also ventured into... The Pen Room. WOW!!! If you live anywhere in or near Phoenix, I highly suggest making a visit to Penworks!

http://www.penworks.us//

Ciao!
Bruce

What soaps and creams do they carry? I live in Cave Creek so Carefree is basically across the street. :thumbup1:

Tony carries Vulfix soaps and a few others. Always a good excuse to stop by! I bought an ST1 20mm brush from him over the summer which has proved to be a great purchase. :thumbup1:

I know AOS in Fashion Square gives straight shaves; anyone else in the Phx area able to provide a good barber recommendation? Always wanted to get a barbershop straight shave

Found a great one in central Phoenix today. Rubinov's is a barber supply store located on 7th St. between Northern and Dunlap on the west side. They carry a great selection of everything. I specifically like the fact that they carry Presoro, Merkur, lots of brushes, mugs, and well, you name it. Worth checking out if you live in the Phoenix area. Not a big store, but they carry at lot of merchandise.

www.rubinovs.com

adress:
Rubinov's Barber & Beauty Supply
8528 N. 7th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85020

T

Tubers

Just stopped by Rubinov's at lunch today, a great local shop for shaving, grooming, etc. I spoke with the three gentlemen there for some time, reviewing a lot of their products and thanking them for their patience. The craigslist post above from MadRoad is an excellent representation of their store. I wound up with some Proraso creme, Col. Conk Bay Rum and a nice wooden bowl for the Conk. First post on Badger and Blade, thanks for the great tips!

Same here Tubers. It's great to have a local dealer in Phoenix to go to for supplies. I'm a sucker for slant heads and the boys behind the counter said they would work on getting some in stock. Amazon is nice, but some times it is just nice to hold a razor in your hand before buying it.

I try to swing by Rubinov's every so often...it's about 10 minutes from my office, which is nice. Friendly folks over there. I haven't been recently however, and judging from that Craigslist post, they've been stocking up. Time to swing by again!

Any idea whether Rubinov's carries barber shop towels? I'm looking for a one-stop shop for a couple of items and all the online vendors are either out of stock on the towels or don't carry them at all.

Thanks!
Jeff

Awesome post. I actually saved it as a favorite. I scored some Bigelow at Bath and Body right near my house, buy two get one free. I got the canned stuff for free. It is for when I am in a rush and honestly it's pretty good. Rubinovs has been on my radar for a while and after reading this thread I am definitely taking the trip up there. Cheers!

This website put Rubinovs on my radar a while back (before the craigslist post which is a great representation) - wish I would of checked back here before going in so I could of advised on the towels, etc.

Jeff - I would recommend giving them a call and just asking

The guys in there were helpful and it was nice holding the razors before purchasing ... i actually switched from my intended merkur to the parker 99r because I liked the heft and grip on it (have relatively larger hands)

Aside from DE/Straight razor supplies they also had tons of other barber supplies and grooming supplies ..... deceptively large store

They threw in a cake of Col Conk as well, which was a nice gesture

Ugh, Phoenix is such a drive, but I might have to make the drive to Rubinovs. Though I think I will wait till I get paid a couple more times so I can REALLY hurt my wallet.

Any idea whether Rubinov's carries barber shop towels? I'm looking for a one-stop shop for a couple of items and all the online vendors are either out of stock on the towels or don't carry them at all.

Thanks!
Jeff

I would be surprised if they didn't! They seem to have most everything.

Give 'em a call or email:

RUBINOV'S BARBER SUPPLIES
8528 N 7TH STREET
PHOENIX, AZ 85020
PH 602 749 9149
PH 480 235 3283
FX 602 749 9159
[email protected]

Good guys!

You can get Godrej shaving creams at the big Asian market at 43rd Ave and Union Hills/NW corner. I picked up the lime and menthol for $1.49 each.

Good tip. I've been meaning to try that. That's not too far off the Freeway. I pass through Phoenix every 10 days or so between No and So Arizona.

That is awesome. Yah he is a great guy. It is a great location right in central PHX.

I would love to know more about any small shops in PHX. Has anyone ever found any nice Gillette DE razors and antique stores around Phoenix?

Ive found a few things in shops like The Brass Armadillo(I-17 and Cactus),but yesterday I got lucky at a GoodWill near downtown:A bunch of sealed packages of DE Blades from the 70's and early 80's,I think-Schick Plus Platinum,Oscos Super Plus Platinum,Personna 74 Tungsten Plus,Wilkinson Stainless Steel Blades,some in 5 packs,most in 10 packs.Eighteen packages in all,49 cents per package.With my wife's teachers discount,a very nice little purchase.
Jimmy

Just a heads up, PENWORKS of Carefee is no more. We our closing our Carefree store Oct. 22nd, 2011 and moving to a larger store in Scottsdale, Arizona at the Scottsdale Promenade Center, Scottsdale Rd & Frank Lloyd Wright. We will have a expanded wet shaving section in our new store. Grand Opening is Nov 12th, 2011, The new name of the store will be our brand name of custom pens & brushes. Penchetta Pen & Knife. Hope to see some of you there.

Bumping an old thread! ( sorry ) but it is relevant to the PHX area supplies and it belongs here! http://imgur.com/a/V685A I got it at the Whole Foods, it is a locally made shaving soap by Strawberry Hedgehog! It's a pretty great soap, I just started wet shaving about a month ago, and just got my best shave with it. I can only compare it to Van der hagens premium soap and c.o. bigelow, but I loved it. It lathered amazingly, felt good on my face and smelt great! The scent didnt stay long but I don't find that as a fault, I use other scents later so it's nice they wont mix! All and all it was a good buy for 1.49 an oz ;). I paid 4.50 for about 3 ounces. I hope my noob lather is a sufficient example of its quality!
Thanks,
Daniel

Top Bottom