What's new

RRDLCPSSSS, AKA "The Paperweight" anticipation thread.

Nice write up Craig. Just for reference the Mongoose with the DUB Legend handle is 187gm and 140gm with the DUB Slim.

As long as it's not flaking, maybe a black permanent marker (sharpie) or black model paint can hide small cosmetic inconsistencies?

As long as it's not flaking, maybe a black permanent marker (sharpie) or black model paint can hide small cosmetic inconsistencies?
Mine has no flaking either. You can see in the pics I posted where it's discolored in a couple spots at the bottom of the slant bar, but it didn't affect the shave whatsoever.

Just got back home. Although i didnt shave with the razor i see no real flaws in the dlc coating save one small spot on the handle, and the dlc coating doesn't really flake off, it literally looks like marker stains are rubbing off metal. I think the discolor is the dlc coating coming off, as that is what i think i have as well. The dlc coating if it comes off eventually will only really be a cosmetic thing for sure.

Nice write up Craig. Just for reference the Mongoose with the DUB Legend handle is 187gm and 140gm with the DUB Slim.

I don't even know where I can see one of those, let alone buy one. :) I've looked, too. I've only seen one pre-production and one production picture.

Got my paperweight today! Nice and hefty, and the finish isn't too bad. A couple spots where the coating is iffy, but the machine marks aren't obvious.
Can't wait to use this tomorrow.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine is currently sitting at the house. T minus 3 hours.

Also, since it's so heavy, I'm wondering if "Battle Axe" might be more appropriate.

Last edited:
Did my first side-by-side shave this morning. Here is what I've found:

First off, it's a really bad idea to use these two razors side by side. :lol: The weight difference mades them shave very differently, so going back and forth between the two is a recipe for disaster.

I was initially worried that the extra weight of The Paperweight would not work well with the design of the razor. When I got the original RRSS, I tried a variety of heavier handles with the aluminum head, and the results were universally bad. I thought maybe it was because the design of the slant head just didn't work with a heavier weight. It seems now that is NOT the case. The heavy handle just doesn't work with a light head, nor does the light handle of the RRSS work well with any other head. However, when you increase the weight of both proportionally and equally, they balance out just fine.

That's not to say that the two razors shave the same; they don't. However, the quality of the shave between the two is more or less equal. The best analogy that I could come up with is the difference between a Harley Davison and a Kawasaki Crotch-Rocket. Both are motorcycles, both will get you from point A to point B, but the experience is very different.

That analogy holds up through many aspects of the shave. The biggest difference I noticed between the two razors is the speed at which I shaved. Picking up the aluminum slant, my motions just automatically gravitated towards light and fast. The passes I did with the aluminum slant were literally twice as fast as with the stainless. I wasn't trying to shave faster, but that light weight slant just slides across the face. On the other hand, when I picked up the stainless, everything just seemed to slow down on its own. Not in a bad way, mind you. Just each stroke was more deliberate.

I've read, and I've found from personal experience, that when using the aluminum slant, many people actually break the cardinal rule of wet shaving; no pressure. If you don't press down just a little bit on the aluminum slant, it just floats over the shaving cream. But the head is designed in such a way that a little bit of pressure is OK. It stretches the skin, and causes the blade to come down to just above the skin to take off the hair. The stainless has this same quality, but the weight of the razor takes care of all the necessary pressure. As I found, if you use the same type of stroke on the stainless, it will cause irritation and nicks. In that respect, it shaves much more like a traditional double-edge razor. Again, not a bad thing, but if you're going back and forth between the two, and your muscles get confused, then yikes!

In the end, the shave I got from The Paperweight was BBS. Overall, I would say it's equal in quality to the RRSS, just very different. I think that both razors will stay in my rotation, but I'll use them for different purposes. The RRSS has already cemented its place in my rotation for when I'm in a hurry and need to zip through a thoughtless shave, without having to worry about cuts or irritation. I envision The Paperweight on the opposite end of that spectrum; well suited for a lazy Sunday morning when I don't need to be anywhere, and can just take my time and enjoy the shave. Neither razor requires quite the diligence and attention that most other double edge razors require, but they require different techniques from one another.

Either way, my face is going to get smooth.

Last edited:
Wow, great review chamm, just what I was looking for...:thumbup1:

I've got the Paperweight on the way to me now, but after your review I might have to try and snag the aluminum one just cause it shaves different!

Well I just shaved for the first time with the new RRDLCPSSSS and I must say that it was a great shave. Mine came with no flaws in the DLC coating and I couldn't really see any machine marks either. One of the first things I noticed was the weight of it. This thing is heavy. Not in a bad way though. You just have to be careful if you are use to a light razor because the weight of the razor definitely provides all the weight that you need. I did a 2 pass WTG then ATG with some minor touchups and I was BBS. Comparing this to my 39C I would say this shave was much smoother and just seemed effortless. Not that the 39C is a bad razor I just think the RRDLCPSSS is of a higher quality. Even though this is just my first shave I can already tell that this will most likely move up to my favorite razor or at least tied with my Grandpa's flair tip super speed that he gave me.

Quick update for those following this thread. I just had my 2nd shave since getting The Paperweight yesterday. My usual razor is a Merkur 37 for reference. I usually don't shave two days in a row, but yesterday's shave was so smooth I thought I'd give it a go. This thing is AMAZING. Granted, it's my first high quality stainless steel razor, but WOW. Nothing but smooth comfort. I also like to keep the back of my neck barbershop smooth and shave that every other shave. I was able to use this with zero issues and was done in about 45 seconds with nothing but smooth neck. Chamm has to slow down when he uses this compared to the RRSS, but I'm coming from a 37 and actually use this much faster due to the added weight and smoothness this brings. I haven't used a RRSS to compare, but hope to add it after using this beauty. Two shaves in and I'm contemplating selling my few other razors.....

.... Chamm has to slow down when he uses this compared to the RRSS, but I'm coming from a 37 and actually use this much faster due to the added weight and smoothness this brings....

You are 100% right in this! I hope that my post above, I wasn't making it sound like the irritation and cuts I had were due in any part to the razor. I take all the blame. My first pass, done with The Paperweight, was without incident. The problems started when I was alternating between the RRSS and The Paperweight. I knew is was unwise when I was doing it; it was in the name of science! I almost always try to push a razor "too far" the first few times around, just so I can see what it's limits are, especially since I knew I'd be writing about it.

To be clear, in a real shave, The Paperweight shouldn't cause problems.

I always love your reviews Chamm. Unfortunately they have caused me to buy things I hadn't previously considered. :001_rolle Just kidding, but I do credit you with my spot on the BBS-1 waiting list.

I always love your reviews Chamm. Unfortunately they have caused me to buy things I hadn't previously considered. :001_rolle Just kidding, but I do credit you with my spot on the BBS-1 waiting list.

Thanks! ::blushing::

I've caused myself to buy an awful lot of stuff, too. :) Between The Paperweight and the BBS-1, (and Mrs. chamm) I think my ADs are in remission for a while.

(Although you already know I'm starting to develop HAD. Two handles in the forge ATM...)

I have looked occasionally, but popped up ? - not sure what you mean. I wrote a note jokingly called for "unobtainium alloy" - don't think they found it amusing...

Top Bottom