What's new

Knife handle fix?

Hi all,

I wasn't sure whether I should post this in razor restorations, here or perhaps in the cooking area but my knife handle came off tonight (half of it). Feel free to move this if you feel it's in the wrong place.

I'm thinking a two part epoxy glue to put it back together and thought it best to get some advice first.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good repair method?

Advice much appreciated,

Rob $uploadfromtaptalk1410350198485.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1410350198485.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1410350198485.jpg

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1410350224635.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1410350224635.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 130
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1410350248905.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1410350248905.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 130
I think epoxy would do the trick. If not, it would hold for a while and you can always do something else if it does not work.

The gorrilla glue I am familiar with, you need to wet the surfaces for it to react and cure, however it foams and expands a little as it does. You need to clamp it very tightly to keep it from moving. I have used it in woodworking, and it is very strong but as I said, it will expand.

I had someone throw out over 98 pounds of ground beef because they used a knife like that, that came apart. We couldn't find all the pieces of the rivets and ended up throwing away the meat just to be safe.
If your going to glue the handle back together get rid of the rivets cause they will come out and more than likely end up in the food. You will find them later, when you bite down.
I only buy cooking knives that have solid metal or plastic handles now.

I had someone throw out over 98 pounds of ground beef because they used a knife like that, that came apart. We couldn't find all the pieces of the rivets and ended up throwing away the meat just to be safe.
If your going to glue the handle back together get rid of the rivets cause they will come out and more than likely end up in the food. You will find them later, when you bite down.
I only buy cooking knives that have solid metal or plastic handles now.

If that ever happens again, get ahold of a metal detectorist--most of them have what's called a "pin-pointer", which can locate small metal items easily. With the cost of meat as high as it is today, throwing away that much meat is really taking a hit. If you don't know any metal detectorists, you can buy the best one on the market for about $150 (Whites' new TRX).

If that ever happens again, get ahold of a metal detectorist--most of them have what's called a "pin-pointer", which can locate small metal items easily. With the cost of meat as high as it is today, throwing away that much meat is really taking a hit. If you don't know any metal detectorists, you can buy the best one on the market for about $150 (Whites' new TRX).
It was in a cafeteria type setting, the food service trays are made out of metal, so a metal detector wouldn't work. Figure the cost of someone who eats it breaks a tooth, $500 worth of ground beef is cheaper than dental work. Even at $500 that was probably one of the cheaper condemnations I have done.

West Systems G-Flex epoxy. It's all I use for knife handles now. Cutlery rivets are fine, if it was properly sealed with epoxy to begin with. I have the exact same knife and handle with the exact same problem sitting on my bench right now actually, lol! I'm probably going to ditch the plastic scales for something a little nicer for the wife.

I did the 2 part. Works great but if I made the time it would great to make some nice wooden handles.

I have a few questions here what brand is the knife ?
I know that some of the Quality knife makers will replace a knife if found faulty.
the being me I would tap out or drill out the rivets and then plan to hand lathe some rivets eventually...
or i would just order what J. Roger just put up

The first thing I would do is to not put knives in the dishwasher since it caused the corrosion on the tang and failure of the rivets from corrosive dish detergent. The second thing I would do is to replace it with another common kitchen knife.

Top Bottom