What's new

Sturdy Umbrella

I thought everyone in Maine wore a big yellow raincoat and hat like the Gorton's fisherman.

Seriously though, the Totes golf umbrella is sturdy and priced right.

Been meaning to get an umbrella, and have been looking over the various threads lately. Got lucky with the past week's weather and only got damp twice. Thanks to the threads here in the Haberdashery, I settled on an umbrella available in a store just west of Grand Central Terminal between Madison & Vanderbilt. Figured I'd get around to going there some day.

So tonight I managed to get off the train at the wrong station and found myself underneath Grand Central Terminal. Endeavoring to turn a bad stop into a good one--and grab an umbrella before it rains again--I went upstairs to look for the place. But I couldn't remember the name of the store, the street, or the umbrella's name. Finally found a place on 45th Street hidden behind some construction. Imagine my joy at seeing an umbrella store--nothing but umbrellas! It's called Rain or Shine. The lady was just getting ready to close, but said I had 10 minutes. Looked through all the folding umbrellas--so it'll fit in my bag--and nothing rang a bell. Finally, she came up with one in the back that looked good, so I brought it home.

Looking at it now, I see it's been recommended here in the Haberdashery at least once. It's a Knirps Topmatic SL Crook handle. Feels even better playing with it here now that I got it home. (I know it's bad luck to open an umbrella indoors, but it's in the Halloween spirit.) Can't wait for it to rain.

Last edited:
You don't get sturdier than this!

http://real-self-defense.com/the-unbreakable-walking-stick-umbrella-difference/

proxy.php
+1 on this, my father-in-law got one for Christmas, so we decided to test it. We each held an end and my wife hung from the middle, and we carried her around the house. Took it outside and opened it, not a ding or a scratch, it opened perfectly. I suggest the wood handle. ;)

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Why does he stand on the umbrella? What does that prove? What breaks or bends in umbrellas when there are strong winds is not the central bar, but these rods that hold the canopy.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Why does he stand on the umbrella? What does that prove? What breaks or bends in umbrellas when there are strong winds is not the central bar, but these rods that hold the canopy.

It's usually marketed as a "self defence umbrella" so the idea is that when it is rolled up you can hit stuff with it really hard (like a mugger) and it won't break. That said, I agree that they should market more of the wind resistance factor as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Somehow the rain always seemed to be between me and wherever my umbrella was. I always try to keep one in the Car and one in the office.

Some years ago J. Peterman had Swaine, Adeny and Brigg umbrellas for sale at 50% off and I bought one under the influence while surfing the web. The wife was not pleased until it came and now it's her favorite (by observed behavior, not declaration). I am convinced it will last a lifetime. It's not the umbrella I keep in my briefcase for work though, because it's full size, but a house umbrella. If we were going anywhere from the house on a rainy day it would be the one I'd take.

For my work I have a simple but compact Totes automatic. It's served me quite well and is practical for the application.

Many seemingly good suggestions here. I hope you explore them, pick one and report back.

Chris

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For UK folk bear in mind the Prevention of Crime Act of 1953. This umbrella would be considered an offensive weapon and can land you two years in prison.

My brief review of that Act and interpretation thereof in response to your post leads me to suspect that this umbrella would not be deemed inappropriate unless it was carried with the intent to be used as an offensive weapon. If you know of caselaw or other in-depth legal analysis on this item I'd love to read it to learn more.

And of course, it's always a good idea for people to know the law regarding self defence wherever you live or visit.

My brief review of that Act and interpretation thereof in response to your post leads me to suspect that this umbrella would not be deemed inappropriate unless it was carried with the intent to be used as an offensive weapon. If you know of caselaw or other in-depth legal analysis on this item I'd love to read it to learn more.

And of course, it's always a good idea for people to know the law regarding self defence wherever you live or visit.
You are right, sorry my post was a bit unclear. If you purchase the brolly with the intention of using it for self defence you are breaking the law.
If you purchase it as a nice brolly, and end up using it in a self defence situation you are in a bit of a pickle as the burden of proof will lie on you as to why you needed a "tactical" umbrella.
If you purchase it cause you like it, and never use it you will most likely be fine.

Top Bottom