What's new

Can this be cosmetically saved?

So there is some tarnish in the gold wash. The lighting outside makes it seem more visible than it is but it is obviously there. Also there is some staining on the back. I was able to remove a lot of it with just some hand polishing with Maas and I think the rest can be removed with hand sanding but I'm not experienced enough with restoration to know for sure. What do you think? It honed up just fine and shaved equally as well as my other Fili's but the tarnish and staining are really bumming me out.

Last edited:
No to the fiberglass pen. Didn't try hot water just some dish detergent and water. Didn't do much for the tarnish. Gave up fairly quickly on it and honed up to see if it would take an edge. Shaves great but obviously the looks don't match the shave.

I wouldn't give up on the blade... It's not common and they are all great shavers.... Even with the tarnish it's worth keeping...

Not to rub it in but...

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410247041.437229.jpg

This one wasn't the prettiest but the etch was good... Just some sanding and it turned out great

Last edited by a moderator:
The gold is very tough, you can use WD-40 to clean up some of the rust on it, anymore and it will be gone. Any metal polish with remove the gold almost instantly.

I would say clean up as much as you can and enjoy it

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have read you can coat over whatever etching you want to save with some clear nail polish to protect it when you polish out the rust. Then gingerly remove the polish with acetone or nail polish remover.

Top Bottom