What's new

Wet Shave Club - anyone have experience with them?

Hey Badger&Blade buddies, I was curious if anyone has tried wet shave club. I was wanting to get my father a safety razor for his Birthday/Christmas (which fall within 2 days of each other), and I was considering going the route of Wet Shave Club. Let me know. Thanks! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... Never heard of them. I might sign up myself... might be a good way to try a bunch of new stuff

I'm a fan of them on facebook. They have great customer service reps. But I don't know anyone who has personally tried them. If you do try them out. Let me know. :thumbup1:

Looking at some unboxing videos on Youtube, it looks like the put some decent products in the box. The free brush and razor they offer looks super cheap, but it's "free", so whatever. You can check the videos to see if they generally seem to be worth it to you or not. It definitely looks interesting from what I've seen.

So you send them $30 a month and they send you something, who knows what? Why not put the $30 toward a purchase through a reputable dealer where you know exactly what you're getting? In two months you could would have saved enough to buy any one of a number of good razors, brushes or soft goods.

I think this is more for the inexperienced shaver who doesn't have the time to research and find the newest wet shaving items around.
So you send them $30 a month and they send you something, who knows what? Why not put the $30 toward a purchase through a reputable dealer where you know exactly what you're getting? In two months you could would have saved enough to buy any one of a number of good razors, brushes or soft goods.

It's kind of the crap shoot with most of the subscription boxes. For some (me included), there's a certain value that comes in the surprise. There may be items I've never tried but always wanted to, or never heard of. It seems that quite a few of the different subscription box services are really not worth the money most of the time, but there are a few out there that are much better at providing a consistent value for the money spent. The more videos I see on this current subscription box, the more it looks like a ripoff for any box except the first one that comes with a razor and brush. It appears they've switched over to a higher quality brush and razor that may justify the expense, but past that, it looks like you're getting a value that's about half of what the monthly cost is.

I have not looked diligently into this service, but after a quick perusal of their site, my instincts regarding their 'marketing strategy' gives me pause.

I just joined and so far the razor is moderate aggressive but I saw a difference in blade exposure and felt it too. It's free so it's ok.

The brush I enjoyed. It looked like I wouldn't but I love it.

The soaps they send are all fantastic. It's a great way to try samples, but you get more then just small samples.

The blades are well known blades and you get ten for the month. That's more then what is needed. Also good for sampling.

Anything else in the box is usually a surprise gift.

For sampling without the hassle, it is a great deal. That's why I got it.

I tried a 3 month promo and didn't see enough value on the boxes to continue on. Their customer service is top notch, but the quantity of product for the money just wasn't there for me. Seems like the price kept increasing as well. I did find a few products that I really enjoy through the service, but lately I have found more than enough products I'd like to sample off the b&b forums with freedom of choice.

You couldn't pay me to shave with a not properly aligned razor.....

It was more like those combination heads where one side is more aggressive then the other (open comb/ closed comb). Either way it was free. Yet I do see your point. Sticking to my EJ, Gillette Techs and Merkur.

When I did back of a stamp calculation on this a while back, it seemed like an expensive but lazy/easy way to try a bunch of different soap samples.
Think I'll continue to pass.

I recently received my first box. The razor has nice heft but seemed more aggressive then my Edwin Jagger DE89. The Red Leaf soap that came with the box was not to my liking. I emailed WSC and they sent me a sample of the Whiskey Ink and Lace soap. I haven't tried it but it smells nice. I like the variety of items you receive and getting a shipment every month is nice. I think this would be great for someone getting into the hobby but not for seasoned shavers. Great customer service and a variety of items will keep me subscribed for the next the two months.

When I did back of a stamp calculation on this a while back, it seemed like an expensive but lazy/easy way to try a bunch of different soap samples.
Think I'll continue to pass.

Yes I see what you mean. It is a lazy/easy way to try different razors and soaps. I'll see where it takes me for maybe three months or so. I like samples, I like easy and I like the anticipation. It is a little pricy but at this moment these three things outweigh the price. For now.

I purchased a 6-month subscription and received 4 boxes so far. The initial razor was super cheap and their latest razor is reasonable. The brush they sent was cheap but usable - I brought it on two trips and found it was scritchy. The soaps and aftershaves are from relatively unknown companies and their performance is inconsistent. The blades are fine and the styptic matches are useful as a giveaway item as I already have a styptic pencil.

Overall, I agree that this is more for the beginning wet shaver. It is fun to receive a monthly surprise of shaving goodies. For $17/month, I found it to be a worthwhile purchase, but I won't renew it.

Top Bottom