What's new

Rubberset 400 question.

I have been following posts on Rubberset 400 restorations, and knew right away I had to have one. I snagged a handle on the BST, and was all set up with multiple wet / dry sandpapers and buffing wheels for the Dremel. Imagine my delight when the handle showed up today all bright and shiny and needing very, very little. Score.

Now the "Brushes for Dummies" side of me comes into play. I've made a couple of brushes, and restored one. In each case it was just a matter of insuring the hole was the correct diameter and depth for the knot. But the 400 has no bottom.....just the void into the handle. What is the correct procedure for installing a piece to form a bottom to adhere the knot to? Thanks in advance. :huh:

The top unscrews from the handle. Turn the top upside down and insert the new knot in like threading a needle. Once you have the depth you like you just epoxy it from the backside. Careful to protect the threads so you can screw it back onto the handle once the knot is dried.

I believe there might be some pictures of this on the site.

If I had to do it again, I would:

1. Set the knot in the ferule at the desired loft.
2. Use hot glue to "tack" the knot in place.
3. You could lather the knot at this point to see if you like the loft.
4. Once the loft is determined, epoxy or silicone the knot on the inside of the ferule.

You could use a small piece of masking tape to hold the knot during this procedure.

Good luck

Okay, I think I get it. After reading everything I could find, I'm going to give it a go this weekend after one more polish.

Okay, I think I get it. After reading everything I could find, I'm going to give it a go this weekend after one more polish.

John,

Good luck and please post the results. I have a 400-4 on the way that will need cleaning, polishing and a new knot.

Cheers,

Rick

Top Bottom