What's new

Looking for help choosing a scent

Gents,

Looking for a winter scent that either is tobacco or spicy. The problem is I am allergic to sandle wood. Soo, I have some Lafco Redwood soap that I love and have been using Muscgo shaving cream which I love also but they don't really pair well.

I would like to be able to have a complete set( shaving cream, aftershave and soap) of one but would consider using different products if the blended well.

Thanks

I think the best idea is to go to a store and spray on a tester you might be interested in. Don't buy it on the spot. Shop around for a couple of hours and see how it dries down and if you like it at that point. Colognes and perfumes can be very expensive and it's worth taking the extra time to buy what you like.
Ask a salesperson for a couple of samples so you can try them on different days. You'll be amazed at how scents can change after a few hours. There is also the fact that some scents last longer than others. You have to figure out what you like yourself. This is a very subjective matter and what suits me may not necessarily suit you. Dig a little...it's fun and really worthwhile

Curious about which "sandalwoods" you are allergic to. Think most "sandalwood" fragrances have very little, if any actual sandalwood in them due to the rarity and cost of the real thing. Wondering if you are really allergic to that or to something else.

consider Crown Shaving Company shave cream & aftershave tonic. The aftershave tonic (splash) is tobacco, leather and barber's talc. No sandalwood. One of my favorites. They make a shampoo/body wash too...and have a full compliment of shave products.

Avant-Garde by Lanvin is my favourite tobacco scent. But YMMV of course. It's a very cheap fragrance too! :)

Curious about which "sandalwoods" you are allergic to. Think most "sandalwood" fragrances have very little, if any actual sandalwood in them due to the rarity and cost of the real thing. Wondering if you are really allergic to that or to something else.

Really? Didn't know that. I used Trumper sandle wood and would have a reaction 30 minutes after. My nose would instantly clog up. Same with Yves St Laurent Nuit.

Really? Didn't know that. I used Trumper sandle wood and would have a reaction 30 minutes after. My nose would instantly clog up. Same with Yves St Laurent Nuit.

Chris, it may be a synthetic ingredient meant to mimic true sandalwood. There is such a thing (maybe more than one) but am sorry that I do not know what it is named. And there are less expensive, lesser grade sandalwoods (one from Australia) that might be in it. Perhaps you are correct in staying away from anything that says it has "sandalwood" in it.

Edit: Chris, just looked at Fragrantica and it does not list sandalwood as being an ingredient in Nuit. ????

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. John, I'm gonna stick to that till I get the scratch test. After that I'll know exactly what gives me the attacks and I can get the shots.

And there are less expensive, lesser grade sandalwoods (one from Australia) that might be in it.

Australian sandalwood isn't a lesser grade. It's just a different variety, which is sweeter than the Indian stuff. It's cheaper because there is stacks of it in Australia, whereas there isn't much of the Indian plant left anymore.
Regards,
Renato

Obvious tobacco scents to check out are D&G Homme, Versace Dreamer and Bogart Pour Homme.
Herrera for Men is more pronounced tobacco wise, but does have some sandalwood in it.
Regards,
Renato

Australian sandalwood isn't a lesser grade. It's just a different variety, which is sweeter than the Indian stuff. It's cheaper because there is stacks of it in Australia, whereas there isn't much of the Indian plant left anymore.
Regards,
Renato

You Aussies and your cheap sandalwood :lol:

If you guys keep stacking it up, then you'll be in the same boat as India :) I love me some sandalwood, no matter it's origins :)

It's a bit dated, but I wear it often: Polo Green will give you plenty of tobacco. Give it about 15 minutes to dry down. At first it will be very strong and bitter, but its dry down is much more mello, especially if you go lightly.

A spicy, versatile scent that comes with an aftershave - L'Occitane Eau des Baux. It's a crowd pleaser and respected in the fragrance community (surprise hit for L'Occitane).

Regards,
Renato

I am now educated! My sincere apologies for being misleading, and my sincere apologies to the Australans!

Top Bottom