What's new

Could you master any DE Razor?

There are tons of razors out there. Most of us have RAD. Years ago I assume men would just buy a random gillette and shave with that. They didn't alternate 10 razors or anything. Do you think that if given a random QUALITY MADE DE razor you could master it and get as good of shaves as you get with your favorite razor?

The reason I ask is it seems I am getting carried away with all the purchases. I just want to pick an item and stick with it. I think I am striving for perfection too much. Thanks.

Last edited:
From my perspective the razor had very little to do with getting a great shave. It was really a matter of what blade I was using. (Assuming the razor is a decent quality specimen).

I shaved for over 45 years using a Gillette Super Adjustable.

It was B&B that changed all that

Original shave set up

proxy.php

"Current sprawl" and I have had 3 to 4 times this pass through my hands since joining B&B.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

well, in a way, yes i do. i think i could take any de razor and shave just fine with it, on my cheeks that is. depending on how aggressive the razor is, i could be left with some redness or irritation on my upper lip and neck. but any de razor out there, im confident i could shave with. not saying i would just throw any blade in it and go to town, no, i would take my time, look the razor over, and then gently shave a few strokes to feel it out, till i got used to it. if i had to stick with one razor, and i mean had to, i guess it would rather be a mild one, because then all i would have to do, is a couple more light passes to get a great shave, versus, an overly agressive one, where it feels like the blade would be digging into my upper lip and id literally have to watch every movement in order to not get nicked. but im like you, i have a couple razors ive only used maybe 4 or 5 times, and then just moved on the next one that i just got out of my mailbox. but i do think, if we all had to use one razor, we would eventually get used to it. we might not like how it shaves in some areas of our face, but if its all we had, we would eventually know the daily ritual and how the shave would untale.

Some razors can't be mastered. Simply because they're poorly constructed/designed. Some French and German Old Type clones come to mind. I'm sure there's more out there.

But assuming we're talking about a quality razor, sure ... why not? From Techs to the R41 all deliver great shaves. Admittedly I dislike TTOs, except perhaps the SA. I can't really explain why ... they're just not as pleasant to use. But they do shave decently.

I look at it this way. A man learning to shave might get his father hand me down razor and use that. Since he likely had the same skin and beard as his dad he got good shaves like his dad. If he didn't he or most likely his wife or mother would go to either a yard sale, dry goods or department store where a knowledgable salesman would offer advice and wisdom to guide the selection.

I should clarify. Yes I mean a quality razor. Edwin Jagger, Muhle, ATT, Ikon, Feather, Gillette, etc.

I don't know about "master". Could I figure out any razor (excepting the truly dreadful ones pointed out by nuclearblast) enough to get serviceable shaves? Sure. But, hey finding the one (or, honestly, the ones) that really work for me is half the fun.

Have fun.

Yes, you can absolutely master any quality razor. It will take time, dedication and learning from your mistakes along the way.

As with learning anything you have to learn the proper way to use it. This is very appropriate when comes to shaving with a razor. Over time you can learn how to successfully use your razor if you don't rush the process. Start slow and learn how to handle each razor one at a time. No two razors shave alike as they may have handles of different lengths & weights, angle of the razor blade, etc. Learning to shave with any razor is very possible.

I wouldn't want to. My face does well with certain types of razors. The super aggressive ones I can shave well with, but my face retaliates the next day, with ingrown hairs on the neck. Too many great razor to shave with to put yourself through the suffering of bad shaves. If I get a bad shave, from a new razor, I take a step back, evaluate what I did, try again. If the results are the same, then, off to collection box it goes.

That is one nice collection Mr. Turtle. I'm going to look for some fine boxes like you have.

Other things being equal ( soap, brush etc. ) I think an experienced DE shaver will get a fine shave with any good quality DE razor.
That being said, my favorite DE razor is a hybrid and gives a shave that is hard to duplicate.

I started with carts about many years back and converted to DE's in 2010 with poorly made Chinese clones of Tec. Since then I'm using Gillette and other decently made DE's , SE's + Lathercatches and straights. So IMHO I think any person with sufficient enthusiasm can be proficient with any razor.

I suppose I could, but I don't want to try. I am not a razor collector. I pretty much have a one-of-each software array, and I'm good with it.

I started out as a teen-ager with a Gillette 195 adjustable, a.k.a. Fatboy, used it for 20 years, lost it. Now I am back to DE, with another Fatboy, and I love it. I suppose I could learn another razor well, but I won't bother; although that Weber looks really nice.

I wonder if I'll someday have a single set of shaving tools, including soaps, etc? Nah. Just hardware.

Maybe. I have been shaving with a Gillette Twist for the last month or so. It should be too mild for my taste, but I am getting great shaves with it.

Sure, with the right technique, any half-decent razor will give you an acceptable shave. Around here, though, we don't settle for half-decent. We want perfection! Hence, RAD. :laugh:

Top Bottom