What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

I don't know if my skill is improving or if the brush is breaking in--likely the former--but I've been getting some outstanding lather lately. This brush is a real treat to use.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
After a few weeks with my PK-47... This brush has become my most used as of late. It's tied with my Thater 4125 for being my absolute favorite to use and I rotate them based on what I want.

Here's the thing, though: It's not the M&F knot so much that's making it such a wonderful brush to use. The knot is very similar to knots I've used from Simpson's and Shavemac. It's not the softest tipped brush I've ever used or the scrubbiest. It's excellent at being soft, but not too soft, scrubby, but not too scrubby, dense, but not too dense... It's a jack of all trades knot that's suitable for everyday use with any product. That lends itself to being a wonderful daily driver. The real beauty, though, is in Ken's handle. It's absolutely wonderful in the hand. It's got a great finish, the material choice is stellar, the logo on the brush looks really slick, and it absolutely locks into the hand and doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. It's as good a handle or better than any other I've used.

I did subscribe to this thread... and I was really surprised I had not news from it for a while...only to find out it seemed my subsription had vanished....:scared::cursing:.. or I'm really useless...

Now I'm back on track and have read what I missed.

I hope all of you gents that are waiting for your brushes will get them soon!! These Chiefs and PK-47s are really sutnning!

And I see we won't be told the story behind PK-47:lol:

Of course, Ken, get well!!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I'm looking forward to (and saving money for) examples of the engraved brushes; Along with Ken's obvious good taste in this whole project I'm sure it will be a treat for all of us!

After a few weeks with my PK-47... This brush has become my most used as of late. It's tied with my Thater 4125 for being my absolute favorite to use and I rotate them based on what I want.

Here's the thing, though: It's not the M&F knot so much that's making it such a wonderful brush to use. The knot is very similar to knots I've used from Simpson's and Shavemac. It's not the softest tipped brush I've ever used or the scrubbiest. It's excellent at being soft, but not too soft, scrubby, but not too scrubby, dense, but not too dense... It's a jack of all trades knot that's suitable for everyday use with any product. That lends itself to being a wonderful daily driver. The real beauty, though, is in Ken's handle. It's absolutely wonderful in the hand. It's got a great finish, the material choice is stellar, the logo on the brush looks really slick, and it absolutely locks into the hand and doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. It's as good a handle or better than any other I've used.

I think this is an excellent description of the knot's characteristics and mirrors my own experiences with my Paladin Chief in faux ivory. The handle is as you described a joy to use. Under use the knot has softened up considerably from the beginning for me when I experienced what I would call a fair bit of scritch and even scratch at certain times. But then I am pretty sensitive to scritch so to someone else, it may not have been significant. At this point I am VERY satisfied with this brush. It is a true pleasure to use and the one I reach for most often.

This brush really was produced by true masters of their art. Congrats to Lee and Ken!

$20150306_063646.jpg $20150306_063710.jpg

Haven't checked this thread in awhile. Ken has certainly been quietly toiling away on some gorgeous brushes. Those butterscotch PK-47 handles are too damn pretty.

Glad to see this thread picking up steam. I have a special brush to submit!

Today I was lucky enough to receive a beautiful PK-47 in faux tortoise :lol:. And even more incredible than that is the fact that it was a comp from Ken, a most generous Gent! I had expressed my excitement earlier in the thread for Ken's new venture and had said I'd love to see a PK-47 in tortoise for a future purchase. To my surprise, he had a brush that met those specs and was sending it my way :blink:. He had planned on keeping it for himself, but decided to part with it after reading my post (incredible gesture!!!). Here is a pic of the brush that Ken sent me to keep me in anticipation:
$image.jpg
And here are some shots from today:

Pre Bloom
$image.jpg
Post Bloom
$image.jpg
Along side the group buy Chief
$image.jpg

Needless to say, I am one happy camper. Inaugural shave will be later, but i did a palm lather and it was stellar. Very soft tips with plenty of backbone. Can't wait to use it in a bit. The PK-47 handle is beautiful to look at and so comfortable in the hand.

Ken - THANK YOU for this incredible brush!!!

It's been said before, but worth saying again. Ken is a gentleman in every sense of the word. A true asset to the shaving community.

SOTD pic with my new PK-47. Sorry, iPhone pics will have to do....
View attachment 560517

The brush performed wonderfully. I was a little worried because it seems to be more dense than my chief and much firmer too. However, once wet it was luxuriously soft (with still having great back bone). My Chief had a bit of scritch in the beginning, but the PK-47 has absolutely none. The handle was just awesome too. Perfect! This is my daily set up, so this brush will get lots of love.

Top Bottom