What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
If you're on our list, didn't receive an update today, and want to, let me know by email or PM, less preferably.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
thanks ken :)

I linked to the Paladin Gallery on PhotoBucket, but decided to hold off posting photos here until I catch up requests with everyone who is already on the list. I'm hoping the form will help make organization more efficient. That's an area where I badly need to improve.

On the positive side, we're getting more efficient at production. I'd collected several lathes, but was leaning very heavily on one for turning and we were only using a second lathe for sanding. Now we have five running in a line, each dedicated to different steps in the process (e.g., precision facing, initial socket drilling, socket boring & grooving, handle roughing & profiling, and sanding/detailing). It look a lot of time and effort (along with a quite a bit of head banging, hat throwing, and profanity) to get the additional lathes running (they're all well over 20 years old), but it transformed our shop. Dialing in engraving and then painting, which we really hadn't given any thought to, was also a significant challenge. But we're starting to roll. Now we need to back-fill some administrative stuff and get a website up.

I said this somewhere else. We've been and still are in an awkward stage, but my guess is that someday we'll look back on it with nostalgia.

Last edited:
Hi Ken--

I am newly arrived here on B&B so I don't know if this is the right thing to do or PM you instead. I was browsing the vendors and I found this thread, and I'd love to get on the waiting list, or signup or however I can contact you if there are any brushes left available from the batch you recently described. I have finally decided to get a good brush and I'd like it to be one of yours. I didn't read every post in this thread so I apologize in advance if I should do something different.

Thanks,

Alex

I just posted an update to the list via email just about an hour ago (3:25 PM Central). It included FAQs and a PDF form that anyone can get a copy of my emailing me. It would be helpful to us if "Information request" were placed in the subject line.

I would post the FAQs here if there were a way I could edit them over time to keep them updated, but I don't believe that's possible.

We shipped 203 handles to Lee about three weeks ago. My understanding is that he's past halfway through installing knots in them.

Examples of those handles can be seen here. Note that there are currently two pages of photos in the April 2015 album.

I can't count how many times I've looked at the gallery...stunning work! I also can't decide what material I like the best. Jade, tortoise, briar, and butterscotch marble are on the short list.

Any close up pics of the new labeling, Ken? I'm curious to see how the engraving looks and what you finally settled on with all of the wording. Keep up the great work!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I'm finally past halfway working through the list (on an Excel spreadsheet), which includes entering information from forms, reviewing past emails (and dates), clarifying ambiguities, responding to questions, and touching base with all who didn't respond to ensure that nothing fell into a crack or disappeared in the ether. I've gone at it in alphabetical order sorted by email address. Right now, I'm up to "ni" and hope to be done by tomorrow.

My mind frequently wonders, my butt gets sore, and the lathes constantly call. So every couple hours I take a break and escape to Dark Holler ... face a few work-pieces, drill some sockets, etc. In between I think about all the other stuff that needs to get done. Like settle on a tagline.

Current candidates are:

1) Extraordinary tools for discriminating wet-shavers

2) Mindfully made by hand and machine

3) Tradition on the cutting edge

4) They aren't cheeseburgers

Any thoughts?

Seriously, thanks to all for the patience. We've been keeping our heads down here and elsewhere for good reason.

#2 strikes me as being most in line with how I view you and your business model. It is very obvious how much thought (mindfully) you guys put into this adventure, and continue to put into it. I also like how the simple description of the "hand and machine" describes your tools and processes. Kind of all wraps up into a "Mind, Body, Machine" kinda thing that works for me anyways. (Everybody's Mileage May Vary of course...)

Bottom line is, whichever tag line you choose, I'm still buying more of your brushes!

Best wishes, John

I

My mind frequently wonders, my butt gets sore, and the lathes constantly call. So every couple hours I take a break and escape to Dark Holler ... face a few work-pieces, drill some sockets, etc. In between I think about all the other stuff that needs to get done. Like settle on a tagline.

Current candidates are:

1) Extraordinary tools for discriminating wet-shavers

3) Tradition on the cutting edge

4) They aren't cheeseburgers

Any thoughts?

Seriously, thanks to all for the patience. We've been keeping our heads down here and elsewhere for good reason.

1-3 are all good. #4 is cute, but it will wear thin very quickly.

I just barely found this thread.
I've always wanted a M&F Chief. I think when I joined B&B the group buy was over.
I'm really liking the style on the PK-47, and I don't want to miss out again.

Email sent............!

ChiefBroom let me know the latest batch was in and was kind enough to let me take another look around the production facility. He let me watch part of the handle production process, which was a satisfying experience for someone who is system/process-minded like I am. While creating a brush handle is a simple concept, it's difficult to really appreciate the amount of work, planning and design that goes into it until you observe how many steps there are in converting raw material to the high polished final product.

While the manufacturing process is intellectually stimulating, seeing a huge batch--nearly 200--of finished brushes is quite a visceral experience. Here's a picture:
$IMG_3139.jpg
Sorry, I took it with my phone so it's a crappy pic. You can see Chiefs, PK-47s and Falstaffs in a wide variety of patterns. On the left were a small handful of ebonites and in the center top are prototypes of the Keyholes and Sumos.

I'll never get used to the pleasure of seeing so many great brushes all in one place. Anyway, it seems quite a few of you guys will be receiving your brushes soon.

Thanks again Ken! I had a great time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom