What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

ChiefBroom said earlier in this thread that Lee Sabini will be making the knots and setting them. Lee makes the knots for Morris & Forndran brushes.

A Chief made by The Chief himself....how cool is that?

For people who may have missed out on the Group Buy or want another special brush, this is great news.

Apparently I missed out on something great. When he said he was turning Chiefs, this came to mind.

proxy.php

As have many on this forum, I've had the pleasure of dealing with Ken previously with the "Chief" buy and we've had several other discussions about brushes and other topics. Ken is extremely passionate about shaving brushes and very meticulous in the detail regarding each brush. Furthermore, Ken is an authority when it comes to M&F brushes/knots and other knots as well. Ken is also one with likely the most knowledge(besides Lee) about the knots Lee makes and offers for sale. He has become an expert of his craft and his work will prove this point. No doubt these will be luxurious, made-to-perfection, top of the line brushes.

I'm sure there is a "Disney-type" line waiting to snag one of these brushes. The line has already got to be to the "you have a 3-month wait from this point". (Those of you not familiar with Disney Lines- my apologies. This is what happens when you live close to Disney and visit frequently). But in the end, rest assured, just as at Disney, the ride will be worth the wait. Difference is, this ride will last a lifetime of wonderful shaves, whereas a Disney ride is over in 45-60 seconds.

Good Luck to Ken in this venture. No doubt it will be a success.

Cheers,

Dan

Just out of curiosity and maybe I missed it, but who's knots will you use in your brushes?
Not to answer for Ken and I have no idea what other options may or may not be available....but see below

Thanks.

Lee Sabini has agreed to supply and set the knots. He may also assist in finishing some handles and engraving or applying labels. The brushes will bear a new brand and be marketed as the product of collaborative work carried out in both Kansas City and London.

Other than handle style/material how will these differ from M&F brushes?

Nobody (except Ken) can possibly know that until they are made available, we know their price, the exact knots used etc.

I for one find Ken a lot easier to get a hold of, ask questions and get responses from etc, YMMV.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Really impressive work Ken. I'd much prefer one of your handles/brushes to the many alternatives. Hope you continue to impress and complete some beauties for all of your fans! Thanks.

That's a stellar, if so far unearned, endorsement. I'll follow-up with you off-line.

For now, I'll take this opportunity to post some due credit for my being here.

The first non-auto-generated PM I ever received on B&B was from Jake. I made my first (of ultimately countless) BST purchases from him (a Bakelite case for an HD Rocket I'd scored on eBay). When I decided to try out a high-quality, badger-hair brush, I asked Jake for his recommendation. He steered me to a Rooney Style 3, Size 1, which put me on the path that eventually led to Lee and all of this.

Jake is a wet-shaving enabler par excellence. Thank you, Jake!

As have many on this forum, I've had the pleasure of dealing with Ken previously with the "Chief" buy and we've had several other discussions about brushes and other topics. Ken is extremely passionate about shaving brushes and very meticulous in the detail regarding each brush. Furthermore, Ken is an authority when it comes to M&F brushes/knots and other knots as well. Ken is also one with likely the most knowledge(besides Lee) about the knots Lee makes and offers for sale. He has become an expert of his craft and his work will prove this point. No doubt these will be luxurious, made-to-perfection, top of the line brushes.

<snip>

Good Luck to Ken in this venture. No doubt it will be a success.

Thanks for the kind words, Dan. If I'm an authority on shaving brushes, it would have to be regarding what I don't know. And that is a lot.

I crashed into this determined to reproducibly make brush handles of my own design. I've accomplished that on a very small scale, leaving a great deal yet to master.

I worked for a CEO once who pursued what he called a "leap and fill" strategy. That's what we're doing now. We spent most of this past weekend experimenting with different combinations of cutting tools (geometries and compositions), spindle speeds, and feed rates. We're scrambling to back-fill as fast as we can, although it seems I've plunged us into a very deep rabbit hole. The experience so far has been at least as humbling as it has been satisfying.

At the end of the day, what will matter is what we turn out and how it gets used.

Other than handle style/material how will these differ from M&F brushes?

Reasonable question, but it's hard for me to say.

Shaving brushes are mysterious, or at least they can be if you approach them with the right (others might say wrong) frame of mind. In any case, what a brush user experiences has as much to do with what goes on between the ears as in the hand and/or on the face. Mileage inevitably varies.

Of course, in objective terms the answer will depend on the hair. I expect quality on a par with what Lee offers in M&F brushes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom