What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

Derek, you're going to get in trouble for even implying that Ken has set a price! :lol:

Chamm, I was referencing the below statement. I realize the price isn't set, hence the "introductory price" verbiage. I just wasn't sure if the batch referenced was only the black, ivory, etc. discussed previously or all the brushes that have been turned/displayed?

I intend to offer all of the brushes made from this batch here on B&B exclusively, at a special, introductory price that won't be as sweet as the group buy price (this is business; that wasn't), but will aim to be highly competitive with brushes of comparable quality.

Hehe, I figured you were only making a general reference.

One thing that might be wise to clear up, and definitely a misconception I was under; to the best of my knowledge, those gorgeous ebonite handles that Ken keeps teasing are not in any way part of that "sweet, introductory price" that he mentions. In a fit of ignorance, I was under the impression that the ebonite handles were just a simple variation on the other colors. However, Ken let me know that those handles are a whole different ball of wax. Maybe I'm the only one daft enough to have jumped to that conclusion, but those guys, if they're even released for general sale, are going to be significantly more expensive. (Don't worry, you don't have to admit being a dummy like me. :lol: )

Last edited:
Can someone PM the price of the 'group buy' brushes that Men is referencing. I know the brushes, but I wasn't a part of BandB when they were offered so I have no clue how much the brushes were. Thanks

New guy question...Ken, will you be offering your brushes on this thread? I want to make sure I'm "subscribed" to the correct one. Thank you!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I sound like a broken record (at least to those who ever listened to the kind of records that broke), but I'm obliged to repeat that I appreciate both the continuing interest and patience.

To re-cap, we shipped our first batch of handles to England to be polished and labeled through arrangements made by Lee and then knotted by Lee himself. The plan was that we'd have brushes back in good time to offer for sale before Christmas. That may still happen, but it's looking like it might be too late to really count.

There was a minor delay in the polishing stage. By far the most time-consuming snag has related to labeling. The takeaway is that although it was good to have these services available to facilitate completion of brushes at the start, we clearly need to put ourselves in a position to directly perform or otherwise closely manage all aspects of producing brushes for sale in the US (with the exception of tying knots).

We've continued to turn handles, but I haven't yet decided whether we'll ship any more to England beyond those which Lee may request to finish for ex-US sales. In any case, I expect us to be in position to get the rest done ourselves by early in the New Year.

That's about all I can say regarding those matters for now. We very much appreciate all of the emails. One way or another, we'll have a brush for anyone on the list who wants one. Understandably, there have been numerous inquiries about pricing. I have a target in mind, but I'm not going to publish it until we have finished brushes in hand and can see and try what it is we'll be selling.

OK, now for some fun stuff.

We've continued to fit out the shop. I hate the delays, but love what we're doing. And this past week we finally got around to knocking out another handle design.

No brush is more iconic than the Simpson Chubby. I have two Chubby 1s and two Chubby 2s. They aren't my primary go-tos, but I have profound respect for the design, its source, the brand it bears, and the company that has carried that brand forward. So this is an example of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery. At the same time, we have too much respect for Simpsons to pursue a straight knock-off. So we studied examples and looked for opportunities to make subtle, but purposeful, modifications.

My favorite Chubby is a Somerset-era 24mm Chubby 1. It was our point of departure. We started by carefully measuring it and scaling all dimensions to 26mm, 28mm, 30mm, and 32mm. Then we went to work generating a CAD drawing with a partially transparent image of the handle (scaled to 26mm) placed in a layer for reference.

The first image below shows the photo we used. The next following it includes a 24mm Dark Holler version flanked by the Somerset Chubby 1 on the left and a more recent example on the right.

We only made two significant changes to the general profile of the Somerset Chubby 1. First, we raised the waist (i.e., the narrowed circumference immediately above the middle bead) buy 1mm (at the 26mm scale) in order to make a little more room for a finger hold. We also lowered the flared circumference just above the base with the same purpose in mind. The newer Simpson Chubby goes even further in that direction. We settled about halfway in between the Somerset Chubby and the modern Simpson.

The Dark Holler handles as shown in the third and fourth photos below are just as they came off the lathe, i.e., unsanded and unpolished. The fourth includes 24mm, 26mm, and 28mm prototypes. The fifth photo shows a trio of polished 28mm handles turned from alternative ivory, Disco, and faux tortoise.

That last photo is somewhat impertinent. I threw it in for Bruce.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thank you for the update Ken. I really like your take on the chubby, but your pk47 will be my initial purchase whenever they become available. The handles all look spectacular!

I sound like a broken record (at least to those who ever listened to the kind of records that broke)...

That last photo is somewhat impertinent. I threw it in for Bruce.

proxy.php

Broken Records, Disco, Purple Haze...now you're talking my language! :w00t:

Awesome update Ken, thanks for all the info and the pics. All of the brush handles look amazing.

Top Bottom