What's new

NFL thread.

A second great comeback from the Eagles. They didn't used to win those games a short while ago.

A great second half.....I am an Eagles fan and I hope they start playing(scoring) in the first half of games. There red zone offense has bin dismal in the first half of both games so far. I just don't think they will be able to get away with it later in the year. Luckily the NFC east is awful and we play those teams twice!!!! I think winning 5 of 6 games is within reason.

GO EAGLES!!!

Nick Foles cements himself into the role of the tough as nails QB we were looking for. He got hammered repeatedly but kept getting back up.
Eagles are a legit contender - at least until we see how they do at San Francisco next week.

Nick Foles cements himself as the erratic QB we've come to know over the years in Philly.
Spotted 3 TDs by Special Teams and Defense but couldn't score any more. Yuck.
Add in the beatdown the Giants put on the Skins and the next couple weeks could be rough herw.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyone else think that NFL officials salary should be tied to their weekly accuracy review?
Maybe a base salary with increases for good calls and fines for bad or missed calls, but until it hits them in the pocketbook, there's really no incentive for them to do the right thing (aside from the ability to be selected to officiate the superbowl and post season games).

Nick Foles cements himself as the erratic QB we've come to know over the years in Philly.
Spotted 3 TDs by Special Teams and Defense but couldn't score any more. Yuck.
Add in the beatdown the Giants put on the Skins and the next couple weeks could be rough herw.

Yep, I figured this might happen this week. But not in the way it did. if Jeremy Maclin didn't make some incredible grabs Foles stat line would have been horrible. We had a chance to win it at the end as well. Just crashed in the red zone....not good, not good

UK fan here... had my introduction to NFL back in the 80s in the Joe Montana era... our big misfortune over here is having constant interruptions from our own (truly awful) homegrown pundits... I only wish they would keep quiet and let the American commentators do their job hehe.

Anyone else think that NFL officials salary should be tied to their weekly accuracy review?
Maybe a base salary with increases for good calls and fines for bad or missed calls, but until it hits them in the pocketbook, there's really no incentive for them to do the right thing (aside from the ability to be selected to officiate the superbowl and post season games).
NFL officials are graded and reviewed every week. Too many negative grades over the course of a year and they are, essentially, fired. These guys are professionals in every sense of the word. Their motivation is to continue to be the best and get better assignments. Peter King spent a week with an NFL crew last year and wrote about it for his MMQB site. Definitely check it out

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
NFL officials are graded and reviewed every week. Too many negative grades over the course of a year and they are, essentially, fired. These guys are professionals in every sense of the word. Their motivation is to continue to be the best and get better assignments. Peter King spent a week with an NFL crew last year and wrote about it for his MMQB site. Definitely check it out

Yep, I'm aware they are graded every week. See my post that says;

While I agree they are professionals, I also think NFL players are professionals.
NFL Players are graded on their performance and if they don't perform they are also fired.
But, NFL Players are also subject to fines. Here's the list for 2012;

http://justfines.com/listFines.php?year=2012

Phil, those fines are primarily for dangerous infractions and unnecessary roughness/fighting. I could see an argument for a portion of the pay being docked for missing "safety" calls, i.e. hits to the head. But if officials thought they were going to lose pay because they missed a holding call? There would be flags on every play.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, those fines are primarily for dangerous infractions and unnecessary roughness/fighting. I could see an argument for a portion of the pay being docked for missing "safety" calls, i.e. hits to the head. But if officials thought they were going to lose pay because they missed a holding call? There would be flags on every play.
Yeah, it would take some finesse to make it work, but I'm just saying the calls are getting ridiculous and changing the outcome of games.

I heard analyst after analyst say that the increased calls on defensive plays would lessen once the regular season started, especially because it would turn fans off, and consequently anger advertisers.

Now the regular season has started, the calls are up 30% on last year (source: some talking head on sports radio, take with bag full of Mortons)

See what you've done Roger Goodell? See?
You've turned off the gentlemen of B&B to the great game of Professional Football. Your reliance on prima donnas, incessant advertising, long games delayed by weak penalties, lack of attention to the optics of the injuries and thuggish behavior of your personnel.
Se what you have wrought and weep. Then change.

/rant

Eagles have the shakiest 4-1 record since Rich Kotite went 7-2 in the early 90s. Not believing. :)

Well, my Titans crapped away a 25 point lead, up 28-3 at one point, and let the Browns come back and win 29-28. It's going to be a very long season. :crying: :a8:

Eagles nearly did the same with a 27 point lead Sunday.
But yes, 1-4 does make for a much longer seeming season than 4-1

Giants and Cowboys have been looking good lately. Not the automatic wins most Iggles fans thought at the start of the season. If they don't beat the NYFG on Sunday we'll have 2 weeks on non-stop QB controversy.

Top Bottom