What's new

The "Mother of all Shave Oils"!

That's right...this is a review of a shave oil, not a soap, but boy oh boy what a shave oil it is!

The product is called Shave Secret, and can be found at most Walgreen's for around $7. It can also be found at http://www.shavesecret.com. Let me first say that this is not a PRE-SHAVE oil but an oil to use instead of soap or cream to actually shave with. I first bought it because I thought it was a pre-shave oil and was $14 less than the T&H variety I was using at the time. As soon as I got home I read the package and to my surprise found that it was to be used instead of soap or cream. I figured that since I paid for it I would give it a go and see for myself, besides...it had a money back guarantee!

I washed my face as normal and then squeezed 5 DROPS of oils from the small bottle onto my palms. I proceeded to rub it onto my beard, and then I splashed water on my face as indicated. I noticed right away that the oil was pleasant to my nose and had a nice menthol effect on my skin. With some trepidation I took my DE loaded with a brand new Personna IP, and made the first swipe....WHOA! Almost all the hair was gone after the first pass with absolutely ZERO drag from the blade! I splashed my face again, and began my next pass, and after only 2 passes was COMPLETELY BBS, and total time was only about 10 minutes from first face wash.

You guys and gals should give it a whirl. It is in my rotation forever! My wife now uses it when she shaves, and loves the tingling sensation on her newly shaven legs. I also like the way that my whiskers bulk up together and rinse completely off the blade with just a little water and a tap against the side of my sink.

I rate Shave Secret a 10 out of 10 due to the awesome shaves it gives and the time with which it delivers those shaves. I'm also a menthol head and find the sensation of the tea tree oil with the menthol very pleasing, and a little goes A LONG way, which makes this one of the best buys I have EVER made to support my shaving habit. Hopefully you will try some of this and reach the same conclusions, but as always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Moderators, if you feel this review belongs in another forum please move it and send me a PM indicating where it was moved.

Thanks all!

I am definitely intrigued. I might have to stop by the local Walgreen's.

If it does work out, what will I do with all my soaps and creams? :cursing:

Do you think shaving with a pre-shave oil would get the same effect? I currently have Em's preshave oil and I am tempted to try and shave with it alone.

The problem I get with using a shave oil is that gunk. On the razor, on the blade, and in the sink, that just won't wash off! I'd rather spend the time making lather on my face and enjoying that, than cleaning the sink after every shave.

That said, the shave from an oil is great, specially in the winter, and specially if you are outside in below temperatures out in the field. You can even heat up some oil, gently, and put it on warm. Feels great.

for me building a nice lather is part of the enjoyment of traditional wet shaving.why would anybody want to skip this pleasure?

I am definitely intrigued. I might have to stop by the local Walgreen's.

If it does work out, what will I do with all my soaps and creams? :cursing:

Do you think shaving with a pre-shave oil would get the same effect? I currently have Em's preshave oil and I am tempted to try and shave with it alone.

Silly girl, sell them to me! :clap:

for me building a nice lather is part of the enjoyment of traditional wet shaving.why would anybody want to skip this pleasure?

TO each his own...while building lather is a fun process, there are many products out there that offer superior results without the need for a brush.

Get rid of my GEAR? No, No, No...making lather is fun...My review is just an addition to my addiction, not a substitution for anything...although if I were late and needed to shave quickly this would do the trick for sure!

I agree that the oil warmed is awesome! Em's oil is nice, but her formulation is too thin for it to provide enough lubrication for the blade. BUT I bet she would GLADLY make a batch for you that is much thicker and could be used as a shave oil...or you could always cool it in the fridge for a bit! :eek: that might be a great idea for a HOT Summer Day! :biggrin:

As for gunk, I just rinse my razor in soapy water to clean it , then under the hot water for the pass. A final tap on the sink cleans any buildup off for storage, and the oil makes my blades last longer than without...lol!

I have a bottle of the stuff. I use it as a preshave oil. I really does cut down on the razor drag, and irritation. I don't know of I would use it alone though.

I use ShaveSecret as a Post shave. Once I finish my shave I rub in a few drops and do touch ups. Call it an "oil pass." It makes a fine face moisturizer and fights razor burn very nicely. The menthol has that Proraso feeling to it.

An earlier post said this was really greasy. I haven't had that experience. Just a little water and a couple drops and it's not greasy for me. Cleans off the razor and hands just fine with a little soap and water.

Love this stuff!

I tried it as a post-shave and also liked it very much. But for those days that I am on call, and need a quick shave, this stuff is the bee's knees! Also I mentioned in my original post that I got this at Walgreen's, but it was actually WalMart.

Sorry for the mix-up!:001_rolle

I tried it as a post-shave and also liked it very much. But for those days that I am on call, and need a quick shave, this stuff is the bee's knees! Also I mentioned in my original post that I got this at Walgreen's, but it was actually WalMart.

Sorry for the mix-up!:001_rolle

Ahh no wonder. I was scouring the shelves of my local Walgreen's looking for the stuff. :wink: Thanks for clarifying it.

I picked up a bottle of shave secret at wally world yesterday. Today I gave it a whirl. Straight up, no cream/soap etc, just like it says on the packaging. Merkur classic with new feather loaded in it. To my surprise it was the smoothest shave i've had in quite some time. Not a single nick and only needed about a pass and a half. However, I went ATG on my neck for some STUPID reason. It made swiss cheese out of my neck/chin. Moral of the story: amazing shave just stick WTG and ATG. I am definitely buying more of this stuff. At the very least it will be a preshave oil and my travel shave.

I think Shave Secret is a very nice product!

I try lots of "stuff" on my face to see what we want to add to the shop, and it is part of my "repair shave" routine. I use it as a pre-shave and always get good results!

I get it from Wal-Mart for $3.50 - bottom shelf.

It is some good stuff, I frequently use it as pre-shave oil, but I have also used it for a last/touch up pass with great results, I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to use it only....my tough whiskers cringe at the thought! but I may give it a whirl tonight

Top Bottom