What's new

Cheap first pen

Hi all. I went to write some cursive script tonight and realised I've almost forgotten how to write in cursive and my writing is abysmal.

I'll start some online lessons soon but would like to do it with a fountain/nib pen.

Any advice on a very cheap pen that will still perform enough to get me started would be appreciated. (Wood and/or metal are always a bonus if that doesn't push the price up to much).

Acquisition disorder can come later. For now I just want to improve.

Thanks so much,

Rob

You can always start easily enough with a simple dip pen, paper and ink pot from a local craft or Art store. Then build on that.

I should state that my lady is German, has her own pens and ink etc and writes beautifully. I can't use her pens (she claims nib wear based on her writing style that I could affect).

I can access her ink though so that will help. I'll indeed check out your suggestion of the dip pen. Thank you.

Just buy a nib and pen like she has or ask her if she would like a new set and if you can have one of hers to practice on. She likely may have an old worn out nib she would give away for a new set.

Her pens run in the hundreds of dollars. I'm thinking a $30 Parker jotter but then, eBay has super cheap Chinese fountain pens for only a couple of dollars shipped. Ahhhh the cheap eBay torment.

How cheap are you looking to go? The Pilot Metropolitan and Parker Vector can be had under $20. Pilot Plumix and Parallel, or Pelikan Pelikano Jr are around $10. The Reform 1745 can be found on the Bay for just about $10 as well. A Pilot Petit, Platinum Preppy, and Pilot Kukano can be had around the $5 mark. Most of these are Amazon prices and may be found cheaper elsewhere.

Edited to add: If you are looking in the $30 range, I'd go with a Lamy Safari.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Think about a Pilot 78G or a Pilot Metropolitan for starters. Then you'll better know what your preferences are and maybe spend a little more on the next pen.

I'd stay away from the poorly made eBay Chinese pens on eBay as they really are "cheap".

Pilot Metropolitan is always my first recommendation for a newbie. Inexpensive, well-performing, well-made, and looks sharp!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I should state that my lady is German, has her own pens and ink etc and writes beautifully. I can't use her pens (she claims nib wear based on her writing style that I could affect).

I believe that the "unique nib wear" myth is just that ... a myth. Any nib wear is going to be so gradual ... due to the metal being a lot stronger than paper ... that even if after decades of use her pen nibs start to wear away in a particular way due to her unique handwriting, it will take further decades of use by someone else to affect that.

But hey, don't argue with her ... a $10 78g is all you need and you get to maintain marital harmony as well.

Top Bottom