What's new

Irritating Article about "Profiting From Gillette Safety Razors On eBay"

http://theauctionrebel.com/500/profiting-from-gillette-safety-razors-on-ebay/#comment-894

This article annoyed me in some many ways....

For a start they treat our hobby as one more chance to grab a quick dollar.

I don't like the way how we're patronized. A as an example:"195 adjustable (...) is also highly sought after by ‘wet shavers’, probably simply so they can have bragging rights about using one".

I didn’t compare but, from memory, I think they are clearly using our posts about cleaning DE razors.

And, to top all, they recommend our beloved site and SMF to keep a "finger on the pulse of this growing market".

ARGHH!

Your thoughts, please...

I actually am a little annoyed by that article as well. I am surprised, because usually things like this don't annoy me.

That's vile.
It looks like somebody came to B&B and decided to write an article on how to make money off people like us...like we don't know what we're doing.

Your thoughts, please...

I didn't find the article unduly derogatory. Well, no more than the notion that one should try to profit from me (I don't want to collect them -- I just want to use them.) Well, sod them. :mad3:

That said, there are valid market dynamics at work. Supply & demand. Adam Smith & the invisible hand. Economics 101. :frown:

Bottom line: some self-control is needed. Don't pay absurd amounts for these things. Be discriminating. Ultimately, the market will stabilize.

In the meantime, take a long, hot shower, breathe in your favorite scent deeply, dampen your brush, luxuriate in the lather, grab your go-to razor & blade and enjoy that BBS shave -- and relish the experience totally lost on the unwashed heathen capitalist vultures. :biggrin:

That is why we got into this (or, at least, why we stay in this), yes?

- Richard
(Hello. My name is Richard, and I have Razor Acquisition Disorder.)

Honestly I don’t think they are calling us addicts. (I would be ok with that. I can recognize an addiction when I see it :wink:).

Bottom line: some self-control is needed. Don't pay absurd amounts for these things. Be discriminating. Ultimately, the market will stabilize.

Although I admit that in my first post I may indicated otherwise, I’ve no big problem with market dynamics, and that someone is making a profit with this.

In the long run, if “non-believers” find all the pristine fat-boys, or British aristocrats that are hidden somewhere and sell them in the market, the prices would probably go down.

What truly annoys me is evidence that they came here, read our posts, from people that everyday prove to be so generous and gentlemanlike, that are always ready to help and give advice, to keep a "finger on the pulse of this growing market".

But of course you're right. Their loss, and our gain.

I was searching for razors on Ebay last night, and came across this non-razor related auction in my search results. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hubley-Colt-45-Dueling-Pistols-in-metal-case_W0QQitemZ280212401475 . A few lines into the description, is the following passage

"If you collect Gillette Safety Razors you probably will want to start collecting vintage toy guns too. You will never loose on investing in Gillette razor or Hubley western guns. "

I don't know what exactly the seller meant by this, but it seems along the lines of what the article above is saying.

I glossed over the article and really don't find it offensive..... It's marked to people who use ebay and go to antique/flea markets that would likely find razors and have no idea what to do with them (perhaps we can hope they'd leave them alone). I think when i read on the side about disassembling magazines to sell them on ebay I got the market angle of the article--collectibles dabblers.

The potential derogatory use of "wet shavers" is definitely there, but I think a majority of people would be extremely surprised that people actually use "those things" :lol:

I remember clearly coming on a showcase of gillettes at an antique mall maybe 10 years ago, being intrigued, but also not being able to tell what was what, what they are worth, or what was any good to try and use.... This article would have at least given me a few photos and an idea that maybe more than $10 is not a great deal..... YMMV :001_rolle

I'm no expert at all on Aristocrats, but do they really look exactly like Slims? :confused: I've never actually met an Aristocrat, so I don't know.

I was searching for razors on Ebay last night, and came across this non-razor related auction in my search results. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hubley-Colt-45-Dueling-Pistols-in-metal-case_W0QQitemZ280212401475 . A few lines into the description, is the following passage

"If you collect Gillette Safety Razors you probably will want to start collecting vintage toy guns too. You will never loose on investing in Gillette razor or Hubley western guns. "

I don't know what exactly the seller meant by this, but it seems along the lines of what the article above is saying.

He's selling quite a few--outrageous prices, though!

The only part of the article that irritated me was that they referred to this forum as Badge & Blade. They left out the "r". :eek:

Otherwise, thank you for the link. It's interesting to see the sellers' side of things.

It didn't seem to me that the tone of the article was derogatory toward wetshavers, it did give good info on what the sellers' consider quality razors that can command a high price, and it makes me appreciate the great deals I've gotten off of eBay or at flea markets.

But, perhaps, I'm a little more thick skinned after a month of shaving with an Aristocrat. :biggrin:

I didn't really get a bad vibe from the article. I really got the impression it was more of a good set of advice for people who frequent antique stores and flea markets for the purpose of reselling.

It seems that the people on this forum know a ripoff when they see one. Judging by the debate on the BST forum I doubt anyone will be swindling us anytime soon.

Top Bottom