What's new

Who here enjoys bock beers?

I have the impression that bock beers are a very regional thing. They are very popular in Germany and the Netherlands, but they are hardly drunk in the other countries surrounding us (like Belgium), as far as I know. The original bock beer came from Einbeck (city in Niedersachsen), and it is a typical autumn beer.

I was always told that one of the reasons for bock beer appearing after the summer, was that it was the first beer being brewed after the kettles were cleaned. The dark and sweet bock beer more or less primed the kettles for the coming seasons. But of course, in modern breweries, with all year brewing, that is not going to be an issue.

My favorite Dutch bock beers come from breweries in the eastern and southern parts of the country, like Grolsch and Gulpener. My favorite German bock is a very traditional one; Einbecker Ur-Bock.

So ... are bock beers a tradition where you live? And what is your favorite bock? Of course you can include other varieties like Maibock and Doppelbock beers as well!

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My all time favorite is brewed at a brewery that used to be local to me Penn Brewery. Their St. Nikolaus Bock is outstanding.

stag and bush use to have a seasonal bock beer back in the late 60's and early 70's and it was good because it was fresh. good head and heavy malt taste. 4 of them was a meal like genis

Both Schell's in MN and New Glarus in WI have very good bocks that they start to release early winter through late spring. Schells actually had a Bock fest where depending on the temps anywhere from a few hundred to 20k will show up and mill around their woods looking for a picture of a goat head, it's actually very seldom found, though I think that could be more because of the beer than the expertise of hiding it:)

This is the original for me:

proxy.php

Are the American bock beers very different from the Germans? Or are they the same taste style?

The first beer I really enjoyed was Michelob Amberbock. I know it's not the best, but it got me started. I enjoy a good bock every now and then.

I have not found an American bock that can get the sweet malt right. They seem to add too many hops and you end up with a dark amber, dopple or some other misguided oddity. Such is American craft beer.
The last bock I tried that was close was bats breath bock (Texas).

May be a taste thing ... Americans (or at least craft beer brewers) seem to favor hoppy beers.

Are the American bock beers very different from the Germans? Or are they the same taste style?

I have never tried any American beer that I would compare favorably with any German beer. But I don't remember ever seeing European beers in my town that were labelled Bock.

I really like Ayinger Celebrator which is a dopplebock.

Rogue Dead Guy is a Maibock, though it's not labeled on the bottle.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
As a teen, I think 16 or 17 years old, I over indulged on Weihnachtsbock (Christmas Bock) and after this I was not able for some 30 years to drink Bock beer.....but, now I do enjoy a Bock from time to time, and the Einbecker is still my favorite.

Top Bottom