What's new

New Socks

I know that most of us would say that one of the finer experiences in life is a quality shave-- I mean, a really, really good shave where everything is just right and it all just comes together for a bbs-tastic denoument, few things in life beat that. Sure, some things beat it, and some things match it, but few beat it.

For me, one of the things that matches it is new socks. There is just something about sliding my feet into a pair of unworn socks for the first time that just makes the world feel right. If I ever fall into an enormous amount of money, I'm going to buy 365 pair of socks just so I can wear a new pair every day for a year. That's how much I love new socks. So, what's "like a good shave" for you?

I get my fix weekly: freshly laundered bath towels (the nice fluffy ones) and freshly laundered bed linens.

I know that most of us would say that one of the finer experiences in life is a quality shave-- I mean, a really, really good shave where everything is just right and it all just comes together for a bbs-tastic denoument, few things in life beat that. Sure, some things beat it, and some things match it, but few beat it.

For me, one of the things that matches it is new socks. There is just something about sliding my feet into a pair of unworn socks for the first time that just makes the world feel right. If I ever fall into an enormous amount of money, I'm going to buy 365 pair of socks just so I can wear a new pair every day for a year. That's how much I love new socks. So, what's "like a good shave" for you?

I'm with you, brand new socks are the greatest. I wish I could wear them every day.

Brand new socks (from Nordstrom) and brand new boxers (from Brooks Brothers) are up there. Strangely, I love the very first squeeze from a new tube of toothpaste. :redface:

Fresh sheets, socks, towels, etc. are all fantastic. I happen to enjoy freshly-vacuumed carpet too. Almost nothing is better than sinking ones' toes into nice, clean carpet.

Fresh sheets, socks, towels, etc. are all fantastic. I happen to enjoy freshly-vacuumed carpet too. Almost nothing is better than sinking ones' toes into nice, clean carpet.

.....Ahhh, this is one of those things I've never been able to comfortably do because I watched Diehard as a kid....:rolleyes:

I have thought about having money like Oprah and being able to afford new socks every day.
I knew a guy in college who's dad was a prince or some title of royalty. Anyway, he had lots of $ and threw away his clothes when they were dirty because he said he didn't know how to use the washing machine. Come to think of it, I saved up my clothes until I went back home so my mom could wash them. I guess he couldn't go back home. I think he was from Thailand or some country close to that.

I have thought about having money like Oprah and being able to afford new socks every day.
I knew a guy in college who's dad was a prince or some title of royalty. Anyway, he had lots of $ and threw away his clothes when they were dirty because he said he didn't know how to use the washing machine. Come to think of it, I saved up my clothes until I went back home so my mom could wash them. I guess he couldn't go back home. I think he was from Thailand or some country close to that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe I heard that Justin Timberlake does the same with his boxers.

I agree with the new socks and freshly-laundered bedsheets.
But here's a slightly different tack....

The best peanut butter is always the first scoop out of the fresh, virgin, creamy, undisturbed container.

And the first of the season, garden-fresh tomato eaten out of hand whilst standing IN the garden....

Clean sheets are great. I particularly love cool crisp sheets in the summer.

However, new socks don't do anything for me. As proof, I think my socks are about 3 years old. Maybe it's time for an update LOL.

For me it is fresh merino wool socks after the end of a long hike. Something about that always seems to make the world right.

Granted fresh sheets are nice, but those fall in line with my first cup of tea or coffee for the day.

I agree with the new socks and freshly-laundered bedsheets.
But here's a slightly different tack....

The best peanut butter is always the first scoop out of the fresh, virgin, creamy, undisturbed container.

And the first of the season, garden-fresh tomato eaten out of hand whilst standing IN the garden....

ooh, how about that smell that comes from a hot road after a cooling rain?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, there is certainly something nice about a freshly laundered and ironed cotton poplin shirt, so crisp you don't want to bend over for fear of creasing it!

Well, there is certainly something nice about a freshly laundered and ironed cotton poplin shirt, so crisp you don't want to bend over for fear of creasing it!

On that note, how about freshly-ironed linen shirts? They're the best thing ever for about 5 minutes.

Top Bottom