Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Socks

Default New Socks

I know that most of us would say that one of the finer experiences in life is a quality shave-- I mean, a really, really good shave where everything is just right and it all just comes together for a bbs-tastic denoument, few things in life beat that. Sure, some things beat it, and some things match it, but few beat it.

For me, one of the things that matches it is new socks. There is just something about sliding my feet into a pair of unworn socks for the first time that just makes the world feel right. If I ever fall into an enormous amount of money, I'm going to buy 365 pair of socks just so I can wear a new pair every day for a year. That's how much I love new socks. So, what's "like a good shave" for you?

Images

I get my fix weekly: freshly laundered bath towels (the nice fluffy ones) and freshly laundered bed linens.
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Quote Originally Posted by micah1_8 View Post
    I know that most of us would say that one of the finer experiences in life is a quality shave-- I mean, a really, really good shave where everything is just right and it all just comes together for a bbs-tastic denoument, few things in life beat that. Sure, some things beat it, and some things match it, but few beat it.

For me, one of the things that matches it is new socks. There is just something about sliding my feet into a pair of unworn socks for the first time that just makes the world feel right. If I ever fall into an enormous amount of money, I'm going to buy 365 pair of socks just so I can wear a new pair every day for a year. That's how much I love new socks. So, what's "like a good shave" for you?
    I'm with you, brand new socks are the greatest. I wish I could wear them every day.
    Tony :c2:

I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil.
    - Robert Kennedy

"I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion."
    - Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by RichGem View Post
    I get my fix weekly: freshly laundered bath towels (the nice fluffy ones) and freshly laundered bed linens.
    awww mannnnn, fresh sheets with 600 count or higher cotton... heaven on earth.

Brand new socks (from Nordstrom) and brand new boxers (from Brooks Brothers) are up there. Strangely, I love the very first squeeze from a new tube of toothpaste.
    Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat. - Emile Auguste Chartier

Fresh sheets, socks, towels, etc. are all fantastic. I happen to enjoy freshly-vacuumed carpet too. Almost nothing is better than sinking ones' toes into nice, clean carpet.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]
    "The essence of ATC is putting one aircraft where the other one isn't."
    -- Jim Wileman [/SIZE][/FONT]

iron maiden is offline The ever-elusive, asinine, puerile, and yes, often regrettable custom title....

Quote Originally Posted by Tricknology View Post
    Fresh sheets, socks, towels, etc. are all fantastic. I happen to enjoy freshly-vacuumed carpet too. Almost nothing is better than sinking ones' toes into nice, clean carpet.
    .....Ahhh, this is one of those things I've never been able to comfortably do because I watched Diehard as a kid....
    -David, but everybody calls me Dave

Quote Originally Posted by iron maiden View Post
    .....Ahhh, this is one of those things I've never been able to comfortably do because I watched Diehard as a kid....
    lol
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]
    "The essence of ATC is putting one aircraft where the other one isn't."
    -- Jim Wileman [/SIZE][/FONT]

iron maiden is offline The ever-elusive, asinine, puerile, and yes, often regrettable custom title....

I knew somebody would get it....thanks
    -David, but everybody calls me Dave

Fesh pair of paul smith cashmere socks.

Images

I have thought about having money like Oprah and being able to afford new socks every day.
    I knew a guy in college who's dad was a prince or some title of royalty. Anyway, he had lots of $ and threw away his clothes when they were dirty because he said he didn't know how to use the washing machine. Come to think of it, I saved up my clothes until I went back home so my mom could wash them. I guess he couldn't go back home. I think he was from Thailand or some country close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by greenerock View Post
    I have thought about having money like Oprah and being able to afford new socks every day.
    I knew a guy in college who's dad was a prince or some title of royalty. Anyway, he had lots of $ and threw away his clothes when they were dirty because he said he didn't know how to use the washing machine. Come to think of it, I saved up my clothes until I went back home so my mom could wash them. I guess he couldn't go back home. I think he was from Thailand or some country close to that.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe I heard that Justin Timberlake does the same with his boxers.

Quote Originally Posted by skiblur View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe I heard that Justin Timberlake does the same with his boxers.
    Why would Justin Timberlake take his dirty underwear to Greenerock's mom?

I agree with the new socks and freshly-laundered bedsheets.
    But here's a slightly different tack....

The best peanut butter is always the first scoop out of the fresh, virgin, creamy, undisturbed container.

And the first of the season, garden-fresh tomato eaten out of hand whilst standing IN the garden....
    -- Jim

Images

Clean sheets are great. I particularly love cool crisp sheets in the summer.

However, new socks don't do anything for me. As proof, I think my socks are about 3 years old. Maybe it's time for an update LOL.

For me it is fresh merino wool socks after the end of a long hike. Something about that always seems to make the world right.

Granted fresh sheets are nice, but those fall in line with my first cup of tea or coffee for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by langod View Post
    I agree with the new socks and freshly-laundered bedsheets.
    But here's a slightly different tack....

The best peanut butter is always the first scoop out of the fresh, virgin, creamy, undisturbed container.

And the first of the season, garden-fresh tomato eaten out of hand whilst standing IN the garden....
    ooh, how about that smell that comes from a hot road after a cooling rain?

Images

Well, there is certainly something nice about a freshly laundered and ironed cotton poplin shirt, so crisp you don't want to bend over for fear of creasing it!
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09

Quote Originally Posted by Doc4 View Post
    Well, there is certainly something nice about a freshly laundered and ironed cotton poplin shirt, so crisp you don't want to bend over for fear of creasing it!
    On that note, how about freshly-ironed linen shirts? They're the best thing ever for about 5 minutes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scruff McGruff View Post
    On that note, how about freshly-ironed linen shirts? They're the best thing ever for about 5 minutes.

+1 to this, and I also like the feeling of a fresh new undershirt crisp out of the packet
    I sedederserve to lose some man points

Richie